Looking for apartment, working in Quarry Bay

Closed Thread

Looking for apartment, working in Quarry Bay

Hi all! I've just moved to HK and scheduled to start working this September in Quarry Bay. I'm currently near the Fortress Hill MTR and I only have one month of stay here in the serviced apartment that my company paid for me. That gives me until September 27 to find a new apartment to transfer to.

I'm currently looking at properties in the LOHAS Park area and the Beaumont. And I want to hear from people residing there if the area is good (I'm planning a visit there tomorrow to see for myself but want opinions from residents too). I'm also open to checking out other areas. I'm looking to rent at least 1br, can be 2br too, and my budget would be 15k max per month. I'm single, not looking for nightlife and would rather stay home than be out and about, so I want a place that I would really love. My sister and mother are also going to be visiting me often that's why I want to rent a 2br unit, if possible.

Try looking at Yau Tong, Canaryside, The Spectacle, Ocean One. Nice and Quiet and one train stop away.

Lohas Park and Po Lam are not convenient. Only some trains go there. Lohas park was built on a garbage hill, so lots of bad impressions of that place from the locals. I think it's the only place in HK where property has went down in value, there's a reason for it.

Tsueng Kwan O is good. Lots of new housing. Lots of children too.

I would recommend looking at Tai Koo, easy for you to go to work by foot likely and very family environment without the stuck in shopping mall set up. North point is a bit older but will have options there as well.

Thank you for the helpful replies! I went to the TKO area today and really liked it there. I tried looking for a place with Century 21 agency and they told me that all the units they have for the budget I gave them are leased out at the moment. I sent out messages to some of the apartment owners I found here on the geoexpat classifieds and I was able to view one unit today. It is for 11.5k, a studio type in Wan Chai. I really liked the Wan Chai area, despite it being crowded, and I loved the unit I saw. I'm just crossing my fingers that nobody takes it yet since I'm still waiting for my salary and relocation assistance fund. In the meantime, I'm also viewing other places (in case my first choice gets rented by someone else first) and I'm taking all your suggestions into account.

P.S. (totally unrelated to apartments)
    I find that I love taking the bus more than the MTR. The escalators are way too fast for my liking and it's so tiring going all the way down to the platforms and all the way back up. Buses are much comfier to take.

Quote Originally Posted by pachuchay:
    P.S. (totally unrelated to apartments)
    I find that I love taking the bus more than the MTR. The escalators are way too fast for my liking and it's so tiring going all the way down to the platforms and all the way back up. Buses are much comfier to take.
    Me too!

Buses are nice, unless you get an old bus + traffic. Usually the longer routes have the new buses. Wan Chai is a constant bottle neck for buses but you shouldn't have too much trouble commuting to Quarry Bay.

If you find a place that you like, put a one month deposit to hold it. Cheap and clean places rent immediately.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't have enough money yet for the deposit. I've yet to start my job and I just arrived early in HK so that I could have time to look around apartments before I start working. Hopefully I can receive my relocation assistance in advance of my salary so that I can already use it for the deposit. I just really love the apartment I saw today and the landlord was so easy to talk to.

I took the bus from Wan Chai to Fortress Hill and it was just the comfiest ride home ever. That is compared to the crowded MTR ride I took from Fortress Hill to Wan Chai. We were like sardines inside the train! Haha!

Hope you can get the place. Welcome to HK