Like Tree31Likes

Hong Kong taxis

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Loose - their mum's vagina
    Or your father's balls.
    Cheeky Kiwi and shri like this.

The sign on the for hire light is very much abused. Even if you report a driver, little will be done to follow up. There is one bad area at the Sai Wan Pavilion in Sai Kung where the drivers know you don't have a phone signal, so they only take you if you agree to pay multiple times the meter fare. Police know, don't (or can't?) do much.

For the OP, I really suspect if you want a driver to go to a specific "intersection" it'll be an area with double yellow lines. Normally drivers cannot stop at intersections (for obvious reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I can't be bothered to answer all those questions but... Learn some Cantonese and you'll get some friendlier responses some times; learn exactly where you want to go in Cantonese or how to give specific directions to where you want (need only a few words); understand they can't stop on double yellow lines, bus stops, etc.; if where you want yo go is a legal stopping point then you can push them to go there; understand they have shifted changes and learn what time they are (that's when they block their available sign); understand you're not in the US where everyone has to have a friendly, personal chitchat at every opportunity. Just use Uber if you are bothered and have the money.

I haven't figured out the tappy foot phenomenon. Maybe it's somewhat related the car model from the '90s that has an overly reactive pedal?
    I always direct drivers in Cantonese and I am fully aware of where they can or can't stop.
    I'm not from the US nor do I draw my expectations from there but thanks for that insightful piece of knowledge..
    Lastly, shift changes I fully accept but I'm talking about abusing the sign.

thanks everybody for the input
    Elegiaque likes this.

This entire thread is why I prefer to catch a bus! Many smaller bus routes e.g. the green minibuses go taxi type routes. Get to know Them!

Only time this is an issue for me is late night around Soho/LKF going back to Shatin. This is when I get Uber out.

Rest of the time, wait an extra minute and a cross-harbour taxi normally presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    This entire thread is why I prefer to catch a bus! Many smaller bus routes e.g. the green minibuses go taxi type routes. Get to know Them!
    This thread is why I work and live on the same side of the harbor. If you have kids and/or lots of shopping bags, a minibus can be extremely challenging. Sometimes hopping in a cab is the most convenient option.

Quote Originally Posted by HKamateur:
    I always direct drivers in Cantonese and I am fully aware of where they can or can't stop.
    I'm not from the US nor do I draw my expectations from there but thanks for that insightful piece of knowledge..
    Lastly, shift changes I fully accept but I'm talking about abusing the sign.

thanks everybody for the input
    I don't get it. What was the point of the thread if you're a canto speaker and not from the US and/or draw your expectations from there?

The only other explanation left is then either down to 'blame the mainlanders' or racism.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Because you would have been the first one to say it if someone else had posted that..
    Perhaps the issue is not the taxi drivers...but your time management. Always either to blame it on others for your own lack of planning (i.e. you know when school event take place, you know when is the last train, etc etc), Granted some are bad but you can't rely on them as if they work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Because you would have been the first one to say it if someone else had posted that..
    Perhaps the issue is not the taxi drivers...but your time management. Always either to blame it on others for your own lack of planning (i.e. you know when school event take place, you know when is the last train, etc etc), Granted some are bad but you can't rely on them as if they work for you.
    This seems exceptionally harsh!

But as I've said - why live in Kowloon, book a hospital for delivering a baby on HK side, and then be surprised that it's not extremely easy to get a red taxi. There are hospitals in Kowloon.

I know way too many people who live in Elements but spend 99% of their time on HK Island and then go on about how expensive taxis are with tunnel fees. You made your choice!
    shri, Mat and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    This seems exceptionally harsh!
    Both Mat and DeletedUser like to channel PDLM every now and then.

Anyways, its run its course ... next dose of taxi related whinging is scheduled for Sept 4th.
    Last edited by shri; 30-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Mat, Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.