Like Tree9Likes

Blackberry ending making phones

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Not really - the brand will be back, but the devices will be made by Foxconn - not saying that's a bad thing, just saying it aint the Nokia of olde
    Vertu still re-badges other people's phones and wraps them in 'luxury' materials but I see they are no longer part of Nokia.

Vertu Official Website | Vertu

Very British? Isn't their main office somewhere in Quarry Bay?

Quote Originally Posted by shochenkotaras:
    Yeah right! As if those people from Samsung, Alcatel, Lenovo, Motorola...etc. don't borrow reference design from the likes of foxconn and place their orders to assemble components and manufacture their phones.
    There is a hotel that Foxconn use for all its customers for wearable devices. It is quite interesting in the business lounge with a table of Apple staff another with FitBit right next to the guys from Microsoft who are chatting to the next table full of Nike staff.

The hardware tech really is the same, just the wrapping and software make the big difference.

Given that an Android phone is reaching as low as $24 ex-factory prices from Shenzhen why would big brands try to compete at the mass market end with mediocre products - Like most of Microsoft's range for the last 4 years.

This is sad. Do you know if the BB brand of phones will continue to be made (but overseen by a third party manufacturer) or something like that?

I still have my BB Priv, coming from the Samsung Note 2 before that and I didn't miss a beat on the transition. There were some interesting new features introduced to me instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I would go back to a traditional blackberry with BIS in a heartbeat. So much better solution for business. I like my priv but the battery life and functionality of the old bbs was awesome. But I guess not many people only want a business phone these days.
    This I can't understand. We moved to BB once for a couple of years and they were crap. Mail was shite, opening attachments was a gamble (always had to download and view on my personal iPhone) never used BBM as no one else had it and hardware started to crap out after a year. We dumped BB and replaced all once the 2 year contract was up. To me BB was nothing but a pain we were glad to be relieved from.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    This I can't understand. We moved to BB once for a couple of years and they were crap. Mail was shite, opening attachments was a gamble (always had to download and view on my personal iPhone) never used BBM as no one else had it and hardware started to crap out after a year. We dumped BB and replaced all once the 2 year contract was up. To me BB was nothing but a pain we were glad to be relieved from.
    Loved all my blackberries. Have a priv now and like it although not as much as the classics. I can get by on my notes but do prefer thus. Sad day but not unexpected. I actually find mail on BlackBerry hugely superior to Gmail app.

What about the new DKTEK ones or whatever they are called? Got decent reviews.

Looking at Blackberry earnings report, it seems focusing on software and services was the right thing to do

Plus 1 for Blackberry

Terrible smartphone for those that like to consume or share banality

Awesome email phone for those that liked to create

At this point they have basically licensed/sold their name to TCL/Alcatel for hardware purposes - what they're doing is pretty much making BB editions of existing phones, so pretty generic hardware with BB's Android software on them. Doesn't sound massively promising, but I know of at least one fairly hardcore Android writer who is very impressed, and I'm not all that surprised, since I've always thought BB should have been in the secure/enterprise Android software business, not the cutthroat low-margin (except for Apple) hardware biz.

I'd be willing to put, oh, $100 down that there won't be another hardware-keyboard BB phone for a very long time, however...