Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amlc1984

Opening a personal bank account in HK with open work permit

Closed Thread

Opening a personal bank account in HK with open work permit

Hi, I just landed at HK with an open work permit granted through the ASSG immigration program. Soon I'll collect the visa and then the HKID to start looking for work.
    I would like to know whether it is possible for me to open a personal bank account in HK, as I'll need it once I find employment.
    Please note I'm currently staying at a relative's place thus that will be my local address.
    For what is worth, my nationality is Venezuelan.

Appreciate any help or insight you can share!

Most if not all banks here won't open a bank account for you without the following:
    Proof of address under your name (Lease contract/Utilities bill).
    A valid visa and HKID
    Holding a Venezuelan passport (or any passport from South America, Africa or S S/E Asia), and not being white (I assume) will make it almost impossible for you to open an account at any bank here without the above documents.

I had a similar problem here when i landed and needed a bank account. Hsbc was least helpful to begin with. I opted for citibank and they were happy to open an account with id and proof from my last country of residence alongwith my passport and work permit. I didnt even have an hkid then.

FYI - Not being a prick, but did you say you got a work permit and add "once I find employment" in the same sentence?

I am assuming you meant "start my job".

First port of call could be your employer / HR person. If they bring in a bunch of expats regularly, they can point you to the nearest "friendly" bank which may be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    FYI - Not being a prick, but did you say you got a work permit and add "once I find employment" in the same sentence?

I am assuming you meant "start my job".

First port of call could be your employer / HR person. If they bring in a bunch of expats regularly, they can point you to the nearest "friendly" bank which may be able to help.
    I have an open work permit that I'll have to collect this week. I still have no job offer. I'm guessing that when once I get a job, the employer will probably ask me for a HK bank account for payroll.

Ok, just get you visa sorted, get ID, find a way to get some proof of address and approach one of the banks like citi

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    Most if not all banks here won't open a bank account for you without the following:
    Proof of address under your name (Lease contract/Utilities bill).
    A valid visa and HKID
    Holding a Venezuelan passport (or any passport from South America, Africa or S S/E Asia), and not being white (I assume) will make it almost impossible for you to open an account at any bank here without the above documents.
    I'm chinese descendant. Both my parents are chinese (father born in mainland china and mother born in HK). By white, do you mean like American / European caucasian?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnso2:
    I had a similar problem here when i landed and needed a bank account. Hsbc was least helpful to begin with. I opted for citibank and they were happy to open an account with id and proof from my last country of residence alongwith my passport and work permit. I didnt even have an hkid then.
    Thank you for the advice!. I'll try Citibank as my first option.

You need some proof of address within the last 3 months. Then you play the back and forth visit to the bank until everything is sorted.