How often do your parents visit you in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My parents came to HK a couple of months before I did - in fact, I came to HK because my parents had been here a couple of months earlier, they'd stayed with my cousins-of-cousins here, I'd come up in conversation, and they ended up offering me a job...

They weren't particularly keen to come back - they felt they'd 'done' HK, so the only reason to come was to see me, and they tend to travel more in Europe and North America, plus they decided a while ago that if they were going to do long-haul, they weren't going to do economy class any more, so it becomes pretty expensive. We came to an arrangement that they pay for my flight to the UK once or twice a year, which is much cheaper for them...

They did visit, briefly, this year and last year, since they had things to do on this side of the planet - went to a cousin's wedding in Sydney last year, and cruised from HK to Mumbai this year. Last year, we did some sightseeing, I showed them around my neighbourhood, took them to Cheung Chau for a different side of HK, etc. This year they were only in town for a day or so before getting on the ship, so we didn't do much other than dinner.

I think it's fairly unlikely they'll ever come to HK again, unless I do something stupid like get married or have kids here

For the wedding and that's it. Makes more sense for me to fly and see everyone in the family in one flight rather than people come here one by one.

My younger brothers have each been to visit in Asia 2 or 3 times though. Nothing like an excuse to go travelling in your 20s

With each country we move to, once or twice. However, sadly after visiting them the relationship is too strained and stressful for my husband and I, so no more. My in laws visit at least twice to whichever country we are currently living in. ( moving soon again....)

I've only been back out of choice once in 5 years (total trips back total 4 but the other three were once for work and two funerals so were very brief).

My parents have been here twice in that time to vist me and will be arriving for their third visit in 2 weeks time. I am running out of things for them to do but they haven't been to Macau yet and I will be working the majority of the time they are here as they are happy to go off and do their own thing during the daytime, i'll take one day off work to have a long weekend with them. Keep telling them to go see somewhere else they haven't been and just spend a couple of days here.

My parents live here.