Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Company being shut down,but have visa until 2018

Closed Thread

Question Company being shut down,but have visa until 2018

Hello friends,

Need some advise here, my husband's company is in the process of being shut down, however he has a work visa until Sep 2018.

After going through all the old threads I understand that even if he losses his job we can still stay in Hongkong until expiration of our visas.

would like to know after he has no sponsorship from any employer, how soon he needs to find another employer to sponsor him,like is there any time frame for that.

He will be doing his TESOL full time course which is a months course and then will be looking for a NET job.

we are a family of 3 and I being on dependent am working as a nursery part time teacher.

How does it work does his current co need to inform ImmD about his stay in Hongkong ,what could we be asked by the ImmD if we stay and he still has no job, but will surely be looking for...the only thing how soon would we need to find for a new sponsor.

sorry about the long post

thanks in advance

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    After going through all the old threads I understand that even if he losses his job we can still stay in Hongkong until expiration of our visas.
    Correct. But he cannot work for any other employer under his current employment visa, not even temporary work or volunteer work.

would like to know after he has no sponsorship from any employer, how soon he needs to find another employer to sponsor him,like is there any time frame for that.
    I guess you could say the time frame would be the expiry of your current visas.

But employers don't like to see long terms of unemployment and it is generally easier to find a new job if you currently have a job. He should really start interviewing immediately, not from a visa viewpoint but from a potential employer viewpoint.

If he doesn't have a new job by the time your visas expire, you will have to leave Hong Kong. You could re-enter on a tourist visa, but that will only be for a limited time.
    shri and MandM! like this.

I don't believe you are allowed to study either without permission from immigration.

Your right to remain in Hk until 2018 remains but your change of employment needs to be approved by immigration.

Thank u so much for ur inputs...what happens to his current work visa and my dependent visa when the co shuts down.....like if it's not a work visa to what visa would it be changed to until he finds a new sponsor....just to let u know that after 2018 when our visas expire we are eligible for PR as we complete 7yrs by then

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

He stays on his employment visa (he just can't work on it) and you stay on your dependent visa, which you can work on.

Keioseffect and Niharika like this.

Nothing happens if the company closes, don't worry. Are you on GEP visa, the normal employment visa?

If your visa expires right at 7 years then I would worry. Usually immigration gives you an extra year on your last work visa so you have time to sort your paperwork for PR.

Otherwise you have to apply for extension or on the safe side apply to work for another company to get it extended.

Niharika likes this.