Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By kma88
  • 2 Post By Scousebanana
  • 1 Post By KadinKai

British Born Chinese with elderly father Immigration help Right to Land?

Closed Thread

British Born Chinese with elderly father Immigration help Right to Land?

Hello there,

I just moved from the UK to Hong Kong with my father and I am so worried about my immigration status, does anyone have any advice.

I can only stay for 6 months, I just applied for ROA, but I just learned there is no chance I will get this. When I was born in the UK in 1979, my parents were already British Citizens.

I contacted Dowson Yun, who tells me I have zero chance of ROA, i believe he is right. He said I have a chance to get the, Right to Land but I am not sure about that.

My father had two strokes, my mother passed away a few years ago and my dad needs me. His mobility is very poor and he is scared of going to a elderly home and said he would rather die alone in HK.

Can I get Right to Land status, if not what are my other options? I am fairly well educated with a Masters in Economics, used to be a commodities reporter in London, can I get a job easily and a work visa? Or do I have to marry a local girl?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Kadin

Pop into the immigration and chat to them, they are quite reasonable to deal with.

Yes, I will do that. Its definitely worth a shot. Thanks!

If either of your parent was born in Hong Kong, you should get Right to Land (as you would have RoA before handover based on having inherited the old BDTC by descent).

Otherwise you should qualify for "Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents" if either parent is Chinese HK PR.

shri, jgl and rickyross like this.

I would have thought you had a pretty good chance of getting RTL for the reasons outlined by kma88. RTL seems pretty easy to obtain, especially if you are of Chinese descent.

I presume you do plan on working at some point if you are planning to settle long term. With your qualifications and experience, you should find it pretty easy to find work and therefore obtain a work visa.

I am in a similar position to yourself - born in the UK, but with a close connection to HK via my parents, but went the work visa route in the end, as my parents had moved around a lot and tracking down the necessary paperwork wasn't easy. I felt it was a lot less hassle to go down the work visa route as my employer took care of everything for my first 2 year visa and will assist with renewals. However, I wasn't in HK at the time and was working horrendous hours in my last job, while you may have more time and already in the country, so you may decide to go a different route.

shri and rickyross like this.

Thank you for the supportive comments above, I feel much more assured. I will update and let you know how I get on. I'm the meantime, I will pop over to Zhuhai for a few days and come back to extend my permission to remain in HK for six more months.

Morrison likes this.

A small update:

I have been slightly assured that I can get, "Right to Land" status in Hong Kong. But there are caveats.

1. I Changed my name slightly around 15 years ago, getting rid of my middle name. So my birth certificate and passport does not exactly match. The HK Immigration department wants proof. I went to the UK Embassy today, the staff were very nice and knowledgable especially the reception downstairs, but they cannot help.

2. Keep your old passports. My dad does not have the passport covering my date of birth. I have tried to retrieve this via the National Archives in UK, but they couldn't find it. They said they only have two million documents not everything has survived.

Thanks for the messages above and also the private messages sent to me. I will continue to try and stay in this amazing and extremely expensive city.

Ps. Has anyone got a cheeky hidden battery electric bike? I am going to Zhuhai on Thursday and I will bring one back. I live in Tai Po and I really want to ride along the path beside the river, up the hills and down to the sea. If anyone is interested in going for a bike ride, picnic and ice cream let me know.

Kadin

Quote Originally Posted by KadinKai:
    Has anyone got a cheeky hidden battery electric bike? I am going to Zhuhai on Thursday and I will bring one back. I live in Tai Po and I really want to ride along the path beside the river, up the hills and down to the sea. If anyone is interested in going for a bike ride, picnic and ice cream let me know.
    It is almost completely flat along the Tolo Harbour bike paths and electric bikes are illegal in HK.

It looks like I am set to get the Right to Land Status (phew). The Immigration Office has asked me to bring my original documents into the office next month. Finally!

Thanks for the advice above, now it's time to find a job and hire a domestic worker to help out when I'm out working.