Like Tree34Likes

CX Marco Polo Green

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    This is really useful information - thanks.

I flew on Finnair a couple of years ago and generally liked it. The Helsinki transfer was actually excellent for me (and enabled me to fly through to Exeter, which is far more convenient than Heathrow for where I was going!). I will renew Cathay this year because of a few business class flights to USA, Europe and Australia - but after that I think I will be looking for a new One World carrier. I will look into their scheme.

How much do you travel? Were you Diamond on Cathay before or not? I can certainly understand that if you are OW Emerald now but were less on Cathay before you would get more upgrades.. Cathay are pretty good on their upgrades. OW Emerald seem to come a close second to Diamonds.
    I think last year I did 2 business class trips to Europe (super cheap deals, under 20K per trip), 1 economy to Europe (upgraded to business) and 2 short haul trips (BKK & KL). Just to give you an idea.

I never got higher than gold at Cathay. But got my Upgrades on cathay when I was Finnair Gold only. (Have just moved up to Platnium)

Finnair have some really interesting aspects of their airpoints program, as you go up the levels you earn progressively more airpoints (think it's 10% more for silver, 15% more for diamond, can't remember for platinum).

Can also use points to upgrade your level from say silver to gold etc as long as you earn at least half the number of points required. Can also buy points.

Also they seem to give a lot more benefits at gold than cathay, can't compare Platinum/diamond as I was never that at Cathay.

Worth checking out.
    HK_Katherine and JaredHK like this.

Cathay Diamond has excellent benefits. But is now almost impossible to maintain!

MandM! likes this.

@HK_Katherine, I've switched most of my flights to American Airlines for mileage earning and club points earning purposes on CX/Asia Miles. So you can easily add up some good club points by taking a long haul AA flight. This year so far I've racked up nearly 300 club points and 60k+ miles and funny enough only 3 short legs were CX. One was a rebooking from AA which earned full miles and points and the other to Malaysia well I got basically nothing. I bought the cheap ticket. The bulk of the miles came from AA.
    @Kiz, how's the partner airline mileage earning ability on Finnair. Since I would likely fly different OneWorld partners it'd be best to find one that lets you earn full miles on the discount tickets. I'm definitely looking for another mileage account to open and earn miles.