Like Tree43Likes

Dai Pai Dong streets

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Here have a look at this for Dai Pai Dong.

What is a dai pai dong? A dai pai dong officially means a restaurant with a big license plate, but it refers to usually open air cooked food stalls, or Hong Kong street food stalls.

7:20 Sing Kee (盛記) - One of the legendary Hong Kong street food dai pai dong’s located right in the heart of Hong Kong central is Sing Kee (盛記). They serve all sorts of stir fried dishes that you order to make. I ordered a plate of sweet and sour pork ribs, chicken with ginger and spring onion, and clams in black bean sauce. The street food stall has an amazing atmosphere, slotted between sky rise buildings within an alley. The chef was pretty friendly, and when I was taking photos, he offered me a taste test of the sweet and sour ribs, right out of the wok. Sing Kee (盛記) is an amazing Hong Kong street food stall to eat at when you’re in Hong Kong. Total price - 169 HKD ($21.79)

13:27 Chan Kun Kee (陳根記) dai pai dong (Thank you to: StrippedPixel.com - Hong Kong & China Photography for this recommendation) - Finally for dinner, I decided we needed to take a little food mission to Fo Tan Station, Wo Che Estate, Sha Tin, Hong Kong, in search of a properly local Hong Kong dai pai dong experience. The restaurant was tucked back into a neighborhood, far removed from the everyday hustle of Hong Kong. Yet in the midst of the condos, there it was, Chan Kun Kee (陳根記), an incredibly huge open air restaurant serving all things Cantonese food. I ordered the drunken chicken, fried fish, mantis shrimp, and a spicy fish pot. The food was awesome, and the loud and hectic Hong Kong environment was perfect. This was a stop on today’s Hong Kong food tour that was well worth getting off the eaten path for. Total price - 402 HKD ($51.83)

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Actually, the Matilda cafeteria is a good place to eat in town.
    Its a bit far and out of the way, however, if you find yourself in Happy Valley and looking for a decent cheap & cheerful cafeteria type of place ::> Sanatorium Hospital does a decent job of things.

Who would make a special trip to a hospital just to eat ? Especially when happy valley has so many choices. Matilda i can understand, the peak is abominable.

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    Who would make a special trip to a hospital just to eat ? Especially when happy valley has so many choices. Matilda i can understand, the peak is abominable.
    Happy Valley used to have a lot of choices for under $100 quick lunch eating. Over the years, due to rents and such, they've all disappeared one by one. There are very few places left where you can get something decent for under $100. Sure you've got you McD, you've got a BBQ meat joint and a couple of spots at the wetmarket but not much else unless you are willing to spend 100-200 per head.

The hospital is very conveniently located and offers decent dishes, at very affordable levels. It fills the tummy as well as the demand for lower cost choices

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    Actually, I wouldn't visit the hospital just for food. Those superbugs give me the creepy jeepies. But when there's a need to go there, I'm going all out. Can't beat $120 for a steak. Tell the wife it's a date.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Happy Valley used to have a lot of choices for under $100 quick lunch eating. Over the years, due to rents and such, they've all disappeared one by one. There are very few places left where you can get something decent for under $100. Sure you've got you McD, you've got a BBQ meat joint and a couple of spots at the wetmarket but not much else unless you are willing to spend 100-200 per head.

The hospital is very conveniently located and offers decent dishes, at very affordable levels. It fills the tummy as well as the demand for lower cost choices
    I loved the "Fish Ball King" across the street from the HV Cooked food market.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4