Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Yellowbird

AncestryDNA from HK?!

Closed Thread

AncestryDNA from HK?!

I'm Interested in getting my DNA tested through AncestryDNA in order to have a better idea about my ancestors' origins.
    AncestryDNA currently doesn't ship the test kit to HK. An alternative is 23andMe (Double the price, not as detailed) doesn't ship to HK either.

Did anyone manage to find a way to get their AncestryDNA kit shipped to HK?

I had a look at this too, but I don't think they send to HK (yet)

bumping this.
    Has anyone had an ancestry DNA testing kit delivered to HK recently?

I had to do mine in the UK. No HK option.

23&me do ship here, but the costs are very high.

You can use a cheaper shipping company as long as reports are available online.

Have used ShipBao for all sorts of deliveries from the US.

I suspect the reason they do not ship to HK is due to the length of time it takes for the saliva specimen to arrive at their lab in Ireland. The extra time it takes maybe results in deterioration of the saliva so they cannot get reliable results. I wonder if you got someone to get a kit delivered to them in the UK, and then they ship it to you and you DHL the specimen back to their lab so it arrives promptly. Or wait until you are next in the UK and do it then which is how I did it. Hope that helps.

shri and calee01 like this.

HK has a company here doing genetic tests. I used them. Not for ancestry but they might. Govita.

Original Post Deleted
    yes

I was wondering if it was some legal thing. When I compared the 23andme options for what they tested in the US vs. HK there were a number of nutrition/fitness tests they didn't offer. Maybe they can't offer those services in HK for legal reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    I was wondering if it was some legal thing. When I compared the 23andme options for what they tested in the US vs. HK there were a number of nutrition/fitness tests they didn't offer. Maybe they can't offer those services in HK for legal reasons?
    No I don't think so. I think it's all about demand. What HK people want is different than what US people (typically) want. The companies set themselves up to deliver what the local market demands.

But I found Govita to be quite responsive. You could email them and ask. (I met the CEO etc, and talked to him about the company, as I'm generally interested in genetics).