Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ShelleyA
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy
  • 1 Post By shri

Full time Voice Actor moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Talking Full time Voice Actor moving to Hong Kong

Hi, I lived in Hong Kong for 4 yrs about 5 yrs ago. It's where I met my husband. We moved to the USA around 7yrs ago and my career changed from a music and english teacher to a full time Voice Actor. My husband is a pilot and we'd like to move back to Hong Kong in about a year. We miss it a lot!

My question is, does anyone know about the Voice Acting community in Hong Kong. I'm a full time British Voice Actor and work all over the world from my professional home studio. I'm wondering as the apartments are so small and of course, a little louder whether having a studio would work. Also, as it's a big city, would I even need one? I'm presuming lots of work is done in production houses and recording studios?

It would be interesting if there are any voice actors out there at all, Hong Kong, USA, British or other. I'd love to get in touch with you to get an inside view of this business out there,

Thanks
    ShelleyA

Doubt the demand will be there if at all.

There really isn't that much English programming here in HK, TVB pearl is pretty much it for TV and even then the vast majority of the programming is imported, You could try RTHK who do some English to programming and Radio.

There's more opportunities for you in Singapore

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't actually asking if there was any work, I have plenty of that....hahaha, I was actually asking about the recording side....whether it's better to book a studio to record my work in, or have my studio in my apartment. I appreciate your response though. I've already reached out to some production companies and there is a lot more work than you realise. I very rarely do TV...it's more Corporate recordings, E-learning, Medical stuff and of course English for foreign speakers recordings. Voice Actors do a ton of stuff that's not TV....although that pays a little better of course...lol....

Thanks again,
    Shelley

East_coast likes this.

I seem to recall quite a few of the Disney type audio books / games / learning products are all voiced out of HK.

The biggest problem in HK will be building noise. A jack hammer anywhere in your block will beat any sound isolation you try to create.

If you are looking to make a home studio then R&R fireproof have lots of acoustic isolation products and can link you up with a contractor

隔音及吸音產品 | Soundproofing Product – R&R Fire Material Company Limited

Last edited by East_coast; 22-10-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    had a girl living above me a few years ago, sounded like she was bouncing golf balls on her floor / my ceiling floor every evening.

Hong Kong apartments are so filmsy, I can hear my neighbours sneeze, move their chairs and talking on the phone.

Maybe living in a more remote place (a village) with larger space and further from the neighbours would be an option? If you work from home and your partner flies around the world, I would assume the specific location in HK is less of an issue...

I've only met him a couple of times (so don't really know him) but there's a Canadian guy called Brian Burrell who's quite an established actor here, voice and otherwise. Maybe he will have some insights.

If you are doing it professionally, i think you will need to decide if the cost of renovating a room to turn it into a studio and also make sure the acoustics sound good (most HK flats use tiles and are small which may affect the echos) is worth it. Plus you may need to deal with the hum of the air conditioner or traffic which may be picked up on sensitive recording equipment.

It may also depend if your work is time intensive. If you can fit all of it into a few hours each day, then it may be better value to book out one of the music jamming studios. I think they are about HK$ 150 - HK$ 200 an hour.

shri likes this.

Some of the coworking spaces have sound proof booths for A/V work.

In addition to agency work, I'd bet that many of the startups would be keen to get decent voice over work done for their promotional / crowd-funding / explainer videos. Not sure.. just speculating.

irisboards likes this.