Like Tree19Likes

Funny conversation with another expat

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've tried to learn Canto. It's hard. But the real sticking point for me to really spend more time learning it is that I don't find the sounds of the language appealing. Spoken Cantonese sounds harsh, forced and simplistic to my ears. It doesn't seem to flow. And also that it seems to need to be shouted. The term 'Chinese whispers' could not have originated in HK.

I tried Canto lessons, but found when the teacher would say a sentence, I was unable to repeat it. The sounds were too unfamiliar. This never happened to me learning other languages including Mandarin.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    It doesn't seem to flow.
    no. it's not about flow.
    it's a clack/clack/clack kind of language.
    which, i'm fine with it. i don't think it sounds as nice as french or italian, but it's fine.
    there's also some very neat things about it - there are a lot of plays on words (which i have to have explained to me), a lot of uses of images, some cool slang, etc.

one thing i'll say - spending the time to get a solid base has really helped. my canto is still very much a work in progress, but once i got past a certain point, i did keep learning. i think if i hadn't spent the time in classes to get that base, i'd have never gotten anywhere.
    civil_servant likes this.

I've tried to learn Canto. It's hard. But the real sticking point for me to really spend more time learning it is that I don't find the sounds of the language appealing. Spoken Cantonese sounds harsh, forced and simplistic to my ears. It doesn't seem to flow. And also that it seems to need to be shouted. The term 'Chinese whispers' could not have originated in HK.
    Funny, had exactly the same conversation with my wife today when we were walking outside. Couldn’t agree with you more. I speak several languages more or less fluently (including some basic Mandarin) but Canto just sounds horrible to me.

Good job sticking it out and getting to where you are with Canto.
    I also really appreciate the slang and double meanings. The combination of the tones (variations of the same pronunciation) and the characters having layers of meaning makes for some creative use.
    But for a new learner this REALLY confuses things.
    How to know what they are talking about when 'sweaty pork neck' is the term for the slimy older work colleague!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    no. it's not about flow.
    it's a clack/clack/clack kind of language.
    which, i'm fine with it. i don't think it sounds as nice as french or italian, but it's fine.
    there's also some very neat things about it - there are a lot of plays on words (which i have to have explained to me), a lot of uses of images, some cool slang, etc.

one thing i'll say - spending the time to get a solid base has really helped. my canto is still very much a work in progress, but once i got past a certain point, i did keep learning. i think if i hadn't spent the time in classes to get that base, i'd have never gotten anywhere.
    Bob Loblaw likes this.

Good job sticking it out and getting to where you are with Canto.
    It's the primary spoken language in my own home. Almost feel like I didn't have a choice.

And actually, one other thing worth noting - having a Cantonese-speaking kid also helps a lot. He's much clearer than grownups are, things he says are actually like the things written in textbooks, he doesn't (yet, anyway) use all the double meanings and imagery.

It occurs to me that a lack of appreciation of flow and rythmn may well be why Chinese opera sounds so horrible!

On a related note, sadly my 4 year old sounds like those older (the newer ones speak fluent Cantonese or so I heard) western TVB actors who plays the token white guy in their dramas... it's hilarious hearing him speak Cantonese with a weird western accent, his teachers and I get a good chuckle LOL we've been switching back to Cantonese at home for a bit now LOL Language... use it or lose it