Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By progammer
  • 1 Post By progammer

Advice needed - working visa for my girlfriend ( question for FnB industry professionals)

Closed Thread

Question Advice needed - working visa for my girlfriend ( question for FnB industry professionals)

hi everyone,

my girlfriend is in final year of diploma in hotel management. She is expected to apply for internship in couple of months. She is originally form Philippines and currently residing in HK with a student visa.

She has done very well in her school so far. (She even bagged first prize in intra school competition among all students.). We are confident that she can get the internship of her choice.

She is interested in baking rather than restaurant chef role.

Recently her chef teacher told her that it will be difficult for her to get a work visa after the school is complete. School has a good reputation (HKCA) and generally all the students get jobs after completion, but this is mainly true for locals or people who don't need work visa (resident). School conveniently left this part when I explicitly asked them about job prospects before getting her admission.

Our question is, what is the best choice or suggestion to convert internship into work visa. Which employers usually will help you with this?
    - big hotels such as intercontinental ?
    - or small bakery shops/restaurants etc.?

what will be the best course of action to be able to get a work visa.

any suggestions are welcome

Marry her.

I don't want to rush into marriage. It is the last resort.

There are some amazing bakeries around which do work for both corporate and wholesale clients like the Intercon.

Pick one where she can make a contribution worthy enough for them to go through with the sponsorship. The key would be to in creating a job description which matches her qualifications and abilities - english speaking, ability to communicate with customers, deep understanding of the product, etc etc...

A larger outfit like Intercon etc will be good on the resume, but might not sponsor (she'll have to go hunting for someone who wants that experience..). On the other hand, a smaller outfit might not be around after their next rental renewal.

Bottom line, start making lists of both small and large employers and start talking to them..

Here's a brand new one that opened up in Wong Chuk Hang a few weeks ago. Their creations are just amazing and so is their story..

https://www.bakingmaniac.me/about-us

Thanks @Shree. Appreciate the details. Agree with your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    There are some amazing bakeries around which do work for both corporate and wholesale clients like the Intercon.

Pick one where she can make a contribution worthy enough for them to go through with the sponsorship. The key would be to in creating a job description which matches her qualifications and abilities - english speaking, ability to communicate with customers, deep understanding of the product, etc etc...

A larger outfit like Intercon etc will be good on the resume, but might not sponsor (she'll have to go hunting for someone who wants that experience..). On the other hand, a smaller outfit might not be around after their next rental renewal.

Bottom line, start making lists of both small and large employers and start talking to them..

Here's a brand new one that opened up in Wong Chuk Hang a few weeks ago. Their creations are just amazing and so is their story..

https://www.bakingmaniac.me/about-us
    Thanks for the intro, @shri I shall bookmark them

she is not eligible for holiday working visa. she will start applying for internship in couple of months. we hope that she can crack into a good one as suggested by shree.

gigglinggal likes this.

great idea on IG. thanks. fortunately she has all the pictures saved. will get IG setup soon.

gigglinggal likes this.