Like Tree1Likes

Australian Tax payable (ROA)?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    There are some Australian accountants here in Hong Kong, who can advise you.
    If you have a HECS debt, the government now requires Australians living overseas to pay it. Payments are calculated on your foreign income.
    So they say but the guidelines are so vague that I dont anyone actually has paid anything yet

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    So they say but the guidelines are so vague that I dont anyone actually has paid anything yet
    I've had to pay, and so has my other half

do you happen to know any good one with a reasonable rate? I am considering selling an investment property in australia and not keen on paying CGT!

Did you end up finding a good Aussie accountant? Also looking for one who understands expat situations and investments/taxation (or minimization should I say)

Quote Originally Posted by sydsam:
    do you happen to know any good one with a reasonable rate? I am considering selling an investment property in australia and not keen on paying CGT!
    If you are selling an investment property in Australia, did you ever live in it before? If so, there is a possibility of avoiding CGT based on a number of factors, if not then no good/reasonable accountant can help you avoid paying CGT, you just have to suck it up and pay it. But have you been paying building depreciation on the property for every year you have held it? This affects the amount of CGT you have to pay.

Yes

I did indeed live in it for about 2yrs and it's been rented out for 2-3yrs subsequently. Full dep schedule also completed and being drawn down past few yrs

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you are selling an investment property in Australia, did you ever live in it before? If so, there is a possibility of avoiding CGT based on a number of factors, if not then no good/reasonable accountant can help you avoid paying CGT, you just have to suck it up and pay it. But have you been paying building depreciation on the property for every year you have held it? This affects the amount of CGT you have to pay.