Like Tree11Likes

Opening Bank Account in China

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't use alipay, but I assume you can ask some friends to top it up for you and you pay them cash as return?

also I found this link https://sg.news.yahoo.com/alipay-lau...063246027.html it seems the new approach to solve the issue. I do have boc hk account, will try open a regular boc account in a branch here.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali:
    @howill I just went to Shenzhen to try to open a bank account. Tried HSBC at Kerry Plaza but they said they only have Premier and advantage accounts for HK people without Home return permits. I didn't want to drop 100k or 500k for a alipay account so I checked the other banks around. All the other banks wanted something I didn't have.

Standard Chartered - said i need a work visa. or some kind of resident permit
    CITIC - wanted a Shenzhen address proof
    CMB - the idiot said I can open one if I deposit 5 million ....lol

Did you have to despite 100K just to open a Chinese bank account?
    Check with BOC.. they had an account with a daily cap of 1000 or 500 hkd, but you can open it as a foreigner... however you would need to tie up with both HK/SZ branch, and walk into their SZ branch to sign a few docu if you don't have a home return permit. Also make sure you have a China registered phone line.

That was the last i knew.. i hope they have not pulled back the product. My Treasurer and CFO both signed up these accounts a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Check with BOC.. they had an account with a daily cap of 1000 or 500 hkd, but you can open it as a foreigner... however you would need to tie up with both HK/SZ branch, and walk into their SZ branch to sign a few docu if you don't have a home return permit. Also make sure you have a China registered phone line.

That was the last i knew.. i hope they have not pulled back the product. My Treasurer and CFO both signed up these accounts a few months back.
    I just went over during lunch to BoC. The guy says I need home return permit to open an BoC account in China. He did ask me what country my passport was. Is it because I am holding a US passport?

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali:
    I just went over during lunch to BoC. The guy says I need home return permit to open an BoC account in China. He did ask me what country my passport was. Is it because I am holding a US passport?
    Without work permit in China as a US passport holder you can't open a bank account, while anyone else can. Why? Duo US taxation.