View Poll Results: Is TESOL in this day and age thriving, dying, or dead?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • It’s alive and kicking!

2 33.33%
  • It’s cooling down, but it’s still thriving.

2 33.33%
  • It’s not dead yet, but it’s getting there.

1 16.67%
  • It’s dead in the water.

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree38Likes

Is the TESOL well running dry, or am I going about it all wrong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A college education is the way out of poverty in America. Hence the tolerance of high fees. Of course, not everyone succeeds.

In one of these countries live members of what Temin calls the “FTE sector” (named for finance, technology, and electronics, the industries which largely support its growth). These are the 20 percent of Americans who enjoy college educations, have good jobs, and sleep soundly knowing that they have not only enough money to meet life’s challenges, but also social networks to bolster their success.
    https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspe...or-most-people
    Last edited by civil_servant; 28-02-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Its managing the expectations.

30 years ago, university in the UK was free, there were fewer graduates and so they tended to get the best jobs.

Now, university is 9,000 pounds a year, there is probably an oversupply of graduates, and only the best ones will get the better jobs which make a degree worthwhile.

It has happened fairly quickly, over about 10-20 years, probably less than a generation. This is a reason why those today, still think a degree automatically equals a better job, because it was still true during their parents generation. And their parents are likely to have the biggest influence on them.

How many parents with uni age kids (say around 40-50 years old) would actually discourage their kid to go to university and tell them to just find a job after high school?

Its managing the expectations.

30 years ago, university in the UK was free, there were fewer graduates and so they tended to get the best jobs.

Now, university is 9,000 pounds a year, there is probably an oversupply of graduates, and only the best ones will get the better jobs which make a degree worthwhile.

It has happened fairly quickly, over about 10-20 years, probably less than a generation. This is a reason why those today, still think a degree automatically equals a better job, because it was still true during their parents generation. And their parents are likely to have the biggest influence on them.

How many parents with uni age kids (say around 40-50 years old) would actually discourage their kid to go to university and tell them to just find a job after high school?

Original Post Deleted
    The point of the article was that default decisions people made in the past worked out better than they would have in recent years. The example given was the author's parent who at the same stage in life had a higher inflation-adjusted salary while house prices were <20% of what they are now.
    Elegiaque and civil_servant like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Canadian Millennials aren't in the same boat. Basically what you're defending is appalling governance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...inning/423510/
    Last edited by civil_servant; 28-02-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    Manhattan212 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Who expects the world to be unchanged? The whole article is pointing out how it's changed!

Original Post Deleted
    To the extent we live in a community where people genuinely want to succeed together, complaining can be positive. People may not be aware of how the world's changed and might want to do something to help people respond to the challenges.

The article highlights the impact of zoning regulations or lack of transparency on the political process, and how that affects urban development and opportunities for young people. It may be that we can have a better solution for everyone (or at least more people) by analysing the issues better. I think there's a worthwhile debate to be had here and that the article mentions some potentially useful avenues of enquiry.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    It always amazes me that Americans pay those ridiculously overpriced university fees if it leaves them in such debt. There are universities elsewhere in the world if they can't afford it at home. Kids (well, parents too) clearly aren't weighing up the value very well. 99% of countries in the world could not charge such high fees for the simple reason that nobody (or very few) would pay them.

There is no argument out there that will convince me that Americans are in a worse situation than anyone else. In fact it would be pretty easy to argue that most people in the world have it much worse.
    As an American whi I guess counts as the oldest millennial, I agree with this. Having lived abroad, many Americans do not realise how good they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsearching:
    As an American whi I guess counts as the oldest millennial, I agree with this. Having lived abroad, many Americans do not realise how good they have it.
    An American using British spelling... :P