• 2 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By kimwy66
  • 1 Post By biffski
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis

Vaccinations Before Arriving in HK, from the UK

Closed Thread
    oldenuf2nobeta

Vaccinations Before Arriving in HK, from the UK

Can British expats please confirm what vaccinations they had before moving to Hong Kong

many thanks

Had a tetanus update a year before coming. Incidental though, not because we were coming here.. Daughter had the standard British immunisations, Hong Kong follows a similar schedule I believe. Flu shots every year of course. Hong Kong doesn't have any special requirements I am aware of.

shri likes this.

None

WRT childhood vaccinations, our 5yo has been told by the HK school nurse he needs to have a BCG (tuberculosis) vaccination (this is normally given at secondary school in the UK).

None

Quote Originally Posted by Firemin:
    WRT childhood vaccinations, our 5yo has been told by the HK school nurse he needs to have a BCG (tuberculosis) vaccination (this is normally given at secondary school in the UK).
    Tuberculosis is no longer given as routine in the UK. Babies classed as high risk may be given it before leaving hospital. Given the number of visitors from China to Hong Kong I would say it is advisable to make sure UK children receive the immunisation.
    TheBrit likes this.

When I first saw this thread title, I thought, Nah, just the home country jabs should be fine, but having seen Firemen's and Kimwy's comments, yes, I would definitely get innoculated against TB - not only because of the number of mainland visitors here in HK, but also because the disease is endemic in many places you might want to travel while you're here. In a previous posting (inland from here), I watched someone die of an MDR strain, and it was really not pretty.

shri and markranson like this.

If you plan to travel elsewhere in Asia I would get all the standard vaccinations they recommend when traveling to less developed countries.

markranson likes this.

Hep A and Hep B plus a tetanus shot are helpful, especially if traveling in SE Asia.

markranson likes this.