Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By East_coast
  • 3 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Suggestions for things todo in hong kong for 4 days

Closed Thread

Suggestions for things todo in hong kong for 4 days

Hi,
    I'll be traveling to Hong Kong for 4 days (2full days)and 3 nights. Looking for best things I should do while in hong kong for short time. What's your favorite thing to do in hong kong? What should I check out?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Annievo05:
    Hi,
    I'll be traveling to Hong Kong for 4 days (2full days)and 3 nights. Looking for best things I should do while in hong kong for short time. What's your favorite thing to do in hong kong? What should I check out?

Thanks.
    A few musts
    - Peak
    - Star ferry
    - A market Stanley or Ladies
    - Dim Sum

that's 2/3rds of a day

What do you like to do?
    shri likes this.

Thanks,
    I'll have two full days so 1 of that day I would like to get away from the hustle of the city life. And the other to get as much in of the city it self. Thinking of hiking 1 day and haven't figured out the 2nd day.
    Transportation wise, it is best to get a metro card?

Decent junk trip might be fun now it's warming up!

Go to the peak about 5pm. Do the 45min hike around at the top. Go to IFC. Take the star ferry to TST. Have dinner there. Then head to Mongkok ladies market.

Go to causeway bay, walk around. Hike to Stanley (3-5hrs). Visit the Stanley market. Eat there then taxi back.

Go to tung chung, take the cable car to big Buddha. There is also a very nice and challenging hike from tung chung to big Buddha.

My two recommendations for seeing a slightly different side of HK - and which have gone down well with past visitors - are Cheung Chau and the Chi Lin nunnery and garden. Cheung Chau is the biggest and liveliest of Hong Kong's 'small' islands, with some nice cafes, miniature service vehicles, and, at the right time of year, local festivals. The nunnery is an interesting building in itself, with a nice courtyard, but the gardens next door give a rare 'oriental' feel amongst the big building of HK...

imparanoic, tinlissie and spode like this.

Thank you. If there's time I will definitely check out Cheung Chau.

The peak is definitely on the list. Thanks. Always hesitated to go since it seems like a long trip up. But will have to go.

Thanks for the great advise. I'm the same way. . Going the old /safe style.

If you want to get away from the city hustle and want to see some stunning nature, here are some suggestions:
    - Long Ke beach in Sai Kung. You take a taxi from Sai Kung town and then it's around a 30 min. walk downhill to the beach. Getting back can be more difficult, as you may need to walk along the road back towards Sai Kung if there are no returning taxis. There are other hikes you can do from Long Ke and end at different places (Ask if you want more details).
    - Lantau Island, South Lantau Country Trail. Take a ferry to Mui Wo, then any bus to Nam Shan (it's shortly after Mui Wo; alternatively you can walk through the villages and walk up a path to this point, but it's easy to get lost). Trail starts there. You can end in Pak Kung Au and do a variety of things (take a bus to Tai O, Big Buddha or back to Tung Chung) or you can keep going across the road and end in Tong Fuk, where there is a beach or again a variety of things (food, or buses to different locations on Lantau). Hike level: relatively easy, no steep climbs.
    - Lantau Island, hikes from the Big Buddha. Like others suggested, you can take the cable car up from Tung Chung, and then at the Big Buddha you can hike either to: Lantau Peak which begins after the Wisdom Path, this includes 500 meters elevation gain with big steps, but it's stunning. Hiking level: Medium to difficult depending on your level, path is clear and easy to follow though. You can then hike down to Pak Kung Au and take buses to where you need. Or another downhill hike from the Wisdom Path is the Shek Pik Country Trail which takes around 1-1.5 hours and meanders down to the reservoir, and from there you can get a bus back to either Tung Chung or Mui wo. Hiking level: easy, all downhill.
    - Lantau Island, from Tai O a short loop around Fan Lau over Nga Ying Shan (one of my favorite recently discovered routes). Here is the route. You get a nice high-up view of Tai O and the new bridge, but then as you come over the hill, you get absolutely stunning views of Lantau Peak (you would never know you're anywhere remotely close to civilization). Once you go over Nga Ying Shan there are actually a variety of ways to go down, including this way which is also amazing. Hiking level: medium.
    (Note, you can pick up cheap government hiking maps at the Central government post office ground floor.)

Going to Lantau or Sai Kung would take one full day of yours (of course, once you're back in the city at night, you can then go out to eat in town or night markets).

Hong Kong has some amazing biodiversity and on these trails you may hear barking deer, see snakes, a variety of butterflies, spiders and insects, or even see wild boar or porcupines. People come here for the city, but honestly, I think everyone should be coming here for the nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Annievo05:
    The peak is definitely on the list. Thanks. Always hesitated to go since it seems like a long trip up. But will have to go.
    Minibus #1 from IFC is 15 min.

You can hike up it in under an hour.
    z754103 likes this.