Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Calling Australia from HK

Closed Thread

Calling Australia from HK

While I now use WhatsApp & Viber for most of my overseas call, I've just found that I need to call my bank back in Australia which requires the use of a normal IDD voice call service.

After some internet research, these are the best options I can find so far:

1) mytello - HKD0.13/min
    - prepaid credit with no expiry (not sure what the min top up amount is)
    - https://www.mytello.com/en_HK/rates/...s-to-australia

2) Skype - from HKD0.18/min + HKD0.38 flagfall
    - prepaid (min Skype credit top up: HKD60)
    - https://secure.skype.com/calling-rates/Australia

3) IDD1568 - HKD0.25/min
    - post-pay service
    - IDD 1568

4) IDT1529 - HKD0.28/min
    - post-pay service
    - HKD28 free credit for signing up
    - Unbelievable 24-hour IDD flat rates

5) HGC0080 - HKD9/month for 100mins/month to certain countries
    - monthly subscription (so probably more suitable for someone who calls these countries regularly rather than the occasional calls that I'm looking at)
    - plans with more included minutes are also available
    - IDD 0080/0082

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these service providers or have any other suggestions.

Have used Skype as well as Viber to call landlines and mobiles for lots of countries (havent tried Australia but call quality shouldnt be a problem). Stick with known names. Top up is easy for Skype/Viber through mobile app. I think the minimum top up through app is around HKD 38.
    Do note that toll free numbers are a bit of a pain and you would have to call the normal landline numbers.

Last edited by LeftTC; 18-06-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added toll free info

Just call using your mobile network's IDD service if the rates are not too expensive.
    Sign up for other companies' services if you think they are cheap, but make sure they have easy payment methods first.

Some cheap rates or plans exclude overseas mobile numbers. US, Canadian, HK and Mainland China mobile numbers are often the same charge or free as landline numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Just call using your mobile network's IDD service if the rates are not too expensive.
    Sign up for other companies' services if you think they are cheap, but make sure they have easy payment methods first.

Some cheap rates or plans exclude overseas mobile numbers. US, Canadian, HK and Mainland China mobile numbers are often the same charge or free as landline numbers.
    Unfortunately, IDD on my mobile is not an option

I use Skype to call Australia and have.had no issues. Often if you're calling a bank, the ATO, etc, they can offer to call you back if you tell them you're calling from overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    I use Skype to call Australia and have.had no issues. Often if you're calling a bank, the ATO, etc, they can offer to call you back if you tell them you're calling from overseas.
    They'd call you back? Really? What a surprise!

you can buy idd calling cards from most mobile phone shops or if you want to find a HUGE selection then go to AP Liu Street in Sham Shui Po, some Stalls have loads of IDD cards to choose from. Just tell them where you want to call and they will tell you which card is the best.

I use Skype. It's pretty simple.

sydsam likes this.

Tried most. Have all phones signed up to 1529 now. Works great. Haven’t used Skype for years

Check out TringMe, reliable service and cheap.