Like Tree28Likes

What is the obsession with banking signatures?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Unbelievably strange banking culture that puts emphasis on as to exactly how a signature is signed.
    It is the same signature with a chop, and they still don't accept it because of minute differences.

Unbelievable amount of bureaucracy, and now I have to waste another 70 USD to send with DHL a new chop and not be sure that they'll even accept it.

Why on earth does this still exist?

In the E.U. we have digital signing and none of this weirdness for signatures.
    Unbelievable.

Has happened to me many times. I guess they think I stole someone’s wallet, then got plastic surgery to look like them, but in all that effort forgot to properly learn how to copy the signature.

In the US last year I had to do some stuff in branch and it was all done with ID PIN and security answers.

Quote Originally Posted by snaxks1:
    In the E.U. we have digital signing and none of this weirdness for signatures.
    Why not move your banking back home then to avoid the hassle?

Has anyone had this signature issue in any other country? I had it once in the UK but my signature was way off that time.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Has anyone had this signature issue in any other country? I had it once in the UK but my signature was way off that time.
    Never in US and UK.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Never in US and UK.
    Can't speak for the UK but, in general, in the US busineses have higher trust of customers and clients and tenants than HK businesses. Just thinking of return policies and HK retailers assumption that a return borders on some sort of fraud which is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Had this issue my whole life because I can't repeat a signature... right up until the introduction of smart I.D. cards and 'chip n' pin'... I would say that before HK I hadn't had a problem with it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Why not move your banking back home then to avoid the hassle?
    I can't because I have a LTD that needs to finish the accounting and then lay dormant.
    This is the final thing I am doing.

Not just banks but government departments. the untold trouble some of them have given me through minute variations in signatures, not just my own.

Do they have a machine for signature recognition? Is it a case of the the computer says no so I'm covering my ass.