Like Tree2Likes

Good companies to work for (native english teacher)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JBishop90:
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm aware of Hong Kong working hours, lifestyles etc. Been to Hong Kong before and my partner is from Hong Kong (currently resides here in the UK with myself).Yeah I have found learning centres have mostly negative reviews. I just want to find somewhere that the pay isn't too bad but also something long-term.
    Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious, but then you need (better) qualifications! You've got to start somewhere.

So get some teaching job and at the same time work on a PGCert?
    A PGCE isn't something to get into lightly. Only if you're serious about making teaching a 'career'. I have no idea what a PGDE in HK is like but my PGCE in the UK was pretty damn hard.

Have you actually taught English before? If not then I think it's best to try teaching first. It's not for everyone. In my school (in Europe) I find at times it's almost 50% in behaviour management skills and 50% actual teaching skills.

I did my PGCE in the UK. If I'm not mistaken if you do it part-time in HK you need to be already working in a school and I don't know what others think, but for someone with zero qualifications/experience in teaching I think it would be pretty hard to get a job in a HK school (as opposed to a language centre). Also, have you checked the prices in HK? It's not cheap! https://web.edu.hku.hk/programme/pgde/tuition-and-fees
    Last edited by elmaldito; 29-09-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks for the replies everyone, not realised there had been replies since. Only now getting notifications from emails.

I’ll probably just try TEFL first then, it’s mostky because I may have to move to HK and I don’t want to unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Just checking, have you looked into broader aspects of your current job here? For example, ESG investing is starting to grow, and I've seen a couple of financial institutions look for ESG analysts. Could you leverage your energy advice consultancy experience into being able to analyse bonds, borrowers and projects on their ESG standing?

If you can stomach working in finance, that is :-)
    i don’t have financial qualifications but I don’t mind it, mathematics was a subject I was rather good at. Relating to my current job, I will certainly look into this! Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    If you like to write, look at some media or events companies. Target ones that are mid to large size. Stay away from the small local ones.

Plenty of opportunities here. The limitation begins with your imagination.
    Certainly something I will look into. Most of my writing is not so journalistic-like. It’s mostly game analysis or scouting reports for American football

You may be eligible to apply for the Working Holiday Scheme if you are 30 or under. Visit the government
    https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...ay_scheme.html

I feel that anyone who is thinking of entering the teaching profession, especially those who teach young learners, should have recognized teaching qualifications. In my opinion, the best teachers should be in primary schools but I do not have time to go into why.

Some people think that just because a person is a native speaker and writer of a language that he/she can teach it too. This is not always the case and many unqualified native speakers of English who start teaching English soon realize that it is not as easy as they thought. German and Mainland Chinese learners of English, in particular, often have a better knowledge of English grammar than some English speakers themselves!

I would always prefer to employ a local Hong Kong teacher who has excellent English (and many of them do) and who has teaching qualifications to a native speaker who has no related qualifications and no experience. Many local English teachers have master degrees in English language subjects, and to work at most universities in Hong Kong, lecturers need a master’s degree and most likely a PhD.

It is unlikely that a native English speaker who has no qualifications or possibly a related undergraduate degree would be employed as a teacher by government schools or any of the Hong Kong universities. However, there might be a possibility as a Teaching Assistant in a school. I am not sure. Am I right in thinking that unless you are married and on a dependent visa, people would not be able to work part-time? You can check this out with the Immigration Department.

If you are going to work with children under 18, it might be worth obtaining a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check before you come.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette J W:

In my opinion, the best teachers should be in primary schools but I do not have time to go into why.
    I cannot understand your logic in this argument and have absolutely no idea why the best teachers should go into primary. Can you give us a summary of your reasoning?

German and Mainland Chinese learners of English, in particular, often have a better knowledge of English grammar than some English speakers themselves!
    It's the same for anyone studying a foreign language to a decent level vs your typical native speaker. It's certainly not exclusive to the English language. I have direct experience of this with Spanish and French.

However, there might be a possibility as a Teaching Assistant in a school. I am not sure. Am I right in thinking that unless you are married and on a dependent visa, people would not be able to work part-time? You can check this out with the Immigration Department.

Good luck.
    A teaching assistant could be a good start, after all many teachers in Europe start that way via government programmes in order to learn the trade so to speak. Salary won't be good but it's a start into teaching.

I’ll probably just try TEFL first then, it’s mostky because I may have to move to HK and I don’t want to unemployed.

What reasons do you have for getting into teaching (apart from "it's the only thing I can do in HK")? Anyway, I think even with a degree, TEFL and zero experience you might have to just suck it up and accept a so so teaching job and rightly so given that there will be many others with better qualifications and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito:
    I cannot understand your logic in this argument and have absolutely no idea why the best teachers should go into primary. Can you give us a summary of your reasoning?
    Primary school teachers are responsible for introducing young pupils to education, helping them to think critically and developing basic values. Primary teachers, therefore, play a significant role in children’s development, and research indicates that experiencing quality education at a young age is vital to pupils’ success and behaviour in later years. Of course, you still need good teachers in secondary schools.

[/QUOTE]It's the same for anyone studying a foreign language to a decent level vs your typical native speaker. It's certainly not exclusive to the English language. I have direct experience of this with Spanish and French.[/QUOTE]

That is the point. A qualified teacher of any language should know the grammar better than the learners that they are teaching. I once met an unqualified English teacher who asked what irregular verbs in English were!!

[/QUOTE] What reasons do you have for getting into teaching (apart from "it's the only thing I can do in HK")? Anyway, I think even with a degree, TEFL and zero experience you might have to just suck it up and accept a so so teaching job and rightly so given that there will be many others with better qualifications and experience.[/QUOTE]

I agree starting with a 'so so teaching job' might be the only choice as Hong Kong has many well-qualified English teachers. That is why I suggest getting qualified before coming to Hong Kong.

what kinds of things did you do as an energy advisor?