Like Tree11Likes

letter from employer authorizing a side business

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What if you set up a business on behalf of your wife's name? Do you still need to get your employers permission to open it?

Visas are tied to the place of employment, Immigration can revoke visas if there is any sign that the person holding the visa is receiving income from a place other than that stated in the visa application. If the place of work is left, the visa becomes invalid. It's to stop/attempt to stop illegal activity such as money laundering etc.

If immig./RS. spots that lots of money coming from another bank acc./source of income contrary to that stated as officially sponsoring the visa is being received and maybe not taxed /declared then they could contact the official sponsor (the main hustle/place of work.) and the place of work would not be best pleased if the employee hasn't notified them/given permission. If the main sponsor says to Immig. etc. that they have no idea what is happening, then it would be grounds for something more serious.

Some places are very strict about banning employees from taking on side businesses with or without explicit prior permission because it could be in direct competition with their business. An example would be in tuition centres because they don't want trade secrets sold/their tutors taking away their current students/clients/using their materials.

Last edited by angeluscomplex; 21-10-2018 at 09:36 PM.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in HK who are earning money from their home country. Earning money from other income sources or deposits into your bank account are not illegal and not warrant for any red flags. The banking system in HK is very safe and secret, and I highly doubt this information is freely shared with departments.

Even if outside employment activities were identified by officials in HK, I am not even sure that officials would report this issue directly to the sponsoring company. I have known some people who have done this and caught, simply because they put their illegal employment on their CV when submitting a future visa application/renewal (which is why I say less is more), but upon writing a letter of apology this was forgiven. The employee may face other issues, deportation, refusal of future visas, etc.

To take up side employment (part-time jobs per say) IN hong kong, yes, you are required to get permission from immigration which also requires permission from your sponsoring company.