I'm about to write to the policy address with some ideas to improve the housing situation.

Here's what I've got. If it's a good idea please expand and improve it. That's the most useful thing.

1) Help the market be more efficient by allowing AirBNB in lease break scenarios... but the rate has to be lower if subletting

2) Change the government tendering process from the goal of highest cash profit to one of higher social benefit - choosing the projects that benefit the area, as decided by tenants around the new development...
or...
the development to be chosen is the one that raises land value overall to Hong Kong. Reward the bidder who raises the value of the area as a whole, not just their own investment

3) There is market pressure from AirBNB etc trying to re-balance 2 year tenancy agreements... allow this change to take place.

4) (Warning... a bit contentious this one) Continue to assist Hong Kongers to leave HK, to China and other countries by diplomatic immigration trade.

5) Assist landbanking. Don't fight the market. Go with it and develop ways to mitigate it's effects. When I login to my bank account I'm presented with an option to value an apartment... that isn't what housing is supposed to be about. Can we allow housing to get very expensive and yet still allow people somewhere to live?