Like Tree15Likes

Better to buy laptop in USA or HK?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by sydsam:
    good points - but...I don't find 'restaurant' food cheap in Hong Kong (well not where I eat as I don't nosh at Cafe De Coral. The local restaurants tend to be the same price as local joints oversees - ie $7-12 USD per dish) - if you look for deals in USA/Australia, phones can be quite cheap these days but not as cheap as grey imports from China and general household items are much cheaper outside of HK - hence why people are buying so much stuff off Amazon.

Transport is very cheap in HK and Alcohol...and no tipping of course saves a lot of cash!

Clothes absolutely not cheaper for me in HK especially the brands I buy (same shirt in HK was $220 USD that I paid $90 USD). I find that retail here don't really have great sales and alot of items are full RRP, whereas overseas there are heavy discounts to get items moving off the shelves....can't comment on Laptops as haven't bought one for 6+ years.
    I'm not a billionaire like yourself! Most I've ever spent on a shirt is about 30 gbp! You can get some clearance deals here in Sears, Macy's, JCP and kohl's that will be cheaper than mid range stuff in G2000 but the equivalent fair in Uniqlo, H&M and F21 are much cheaper in hk.

Phone deals here you can be tied down to a tariff and over the course of 2 years the phone is basically free... Same like uk. In hk they don't do handset and airtime... You have to buy everything separately so it might be more expensive in hk if you include the 2 years of data plan. But for unlocked handsets hk is way cheaper.

I have not found any restaurants serving a dish for less than 15 usd here! In hk you get dished in restaurants for about 80 hkd. A sandwich is basically 7 usd. Food definitely cheaper in hk.
    sydsam likes this.

Update:
    I was waiting for Black Friday on Amazon.com. But there weren't any special prices for notebooks in my range.

I finally bought a 2-in-1 Lenovo Flex5 14" with 8/256Gb 8th gen i5 for US$630 incl. delivery. Delivery was a whoppy US$23 - that's all in below HK$5000

Delivery was given at before 12/12 - it arrived yesterday.

Price is hard to compare because this model can't buy in HK, but a 14" i5 8*** is more like $7000 - so totally worth it.

What I learnt: no point to wait for special dates on Amazon, unless you are really wide open.

shri likes this.

@flameproof - thanks for the update. That is a pretty decent price, compared to HK. I assume you bought it from an independent dealer? Was it shipped by Amazon (fulfilled) or from the dealer themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @flameproof - thanks for the update. That is a pretty decent price, compared to HK. I assume you bought it from an independent dealer? Was it shipped by Amazon (fulfilled) or from the dealer themselves?
    I am not sure. I think it was Lenovo direct. Need to add it was a refurbished model. CPU is i5 8250U the latest version, so no performance worries.

And we should compare prices. Even with double the shipping cost same model is cheaper on eBay. However, I feel com at ease with Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113301619297

shri likes this.

One more detail, there is no Lenovo Flex 5 in HK. Lenovo has different names in different countries. Saw today exactly the same in a Broadway, here it's called Yoga 530 and it was HK$ 6988 - all specs, RAM, SSD etc are the same. Not sure about the graphics card, something I don't care about (mine is NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2048MB GDDR5 VRAM)

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=341708

So I don't feel bad about my HK$ 4900 incl. shipping from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    One more detail, there is no Lenovo Flex 5 in HK. Lenovo has different names in different countries. Saw today exactly the same in a Broadway, here it's called Yoga 530 and it was HK$ 6988 - all specs, RAM, SSD etc are the same. Not sure about the graphics card, something I don't care about (mine is NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2048MB GDDR5 VRAM)

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=341708

So I don't feel bad about my HK$ 4900 incl. shipping from the US.

Yes you are right.... HK models will be slightly different name and version... and more expensive. Best Buy and B&H had some really good discounts for Black Friday. I nearly bought the HP Spectre 15" i7 8550u for 1100USD - 500USD discount at Best Buy... the equivalent one in HK was about 2k USD!! But I couldn't decide between that and the Dell XPS 15 which was slightly more at 1399 USD but a better machine with faster processor, again the Dell XPS 15 2 in 1 in HK would be over 2k USD.

I think, hopefully, my laptop will last until the next Black Friday and the 9th gen intel chips come out.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5