• 2 Post By emx
  • 2 Post By HowardCoombs

Passenger train derails in Taiwan

Closed Thread

Passenger train derails in Taiwan

17 Dead - RIP.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ls-Taiwan.html

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Hardly one of Taiwan's fastest trains, not even close to the HSR trains between Taipei and Kaohsiung.
    civil_servant and huja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Hardly one of Taiwan's fastest trains, not even close to the HSR trains between Taipei and Kaohsiung.
    Good observation. The Daily Mail article also referred to it as a highspeed train. Even the BBC screwed up but fixed it when a buddy of mine pointed it out to them on Facebook.

Name:  bbc.PNG
Views: 170
Size:  9.2 KB

A good chuckle before bedtime.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 22-10-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Taking this route in a couple of hours. The tracks are opened up already and the bodies removed, although if I am not mistaken there ar still some delays.

I don't know what it is about coverage of Taiwan, but there is a lot of lazy and/or erroneous reporting. CNN listed the epicenter of the 1999 earthquake as being near Taipei (it wasn't). Similar slip-ups reported regarding typhoon damages throughout the years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Puyuma is the fastest train within the state's rail network ( 台鐵), the second fastest train is called 自強.
    The HST connection between Taipei and Kaohsiung is faster and run by a different operator.
    Last edited by Morrison; 22-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Taking this route in a couple of hours. The tracks are opened up already and the bodies removed, although if I am not mistaken there ar still some delays.
    Do they know the cause yet?

nope.

The train operator(the guy driving the train) has said something to the effect he felt there was some thing on the tracks prior to derailing. The interviewed passengers have said the train was slowing down, then speeding up, slowing down, and once again speeding up and travelling too fast.

So, basically, we know nothing as of now.