Like Tree210Likes

Huawei CFO arrested in Canada, to be extradited...

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28
    Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Well, at least it has made clear that Huawei is very closely associated with the government. In case there were any international doubts.
    Only have a superficial impression of her as a person - but hearing her speak, hard to imagine a CFO for a huge international company. Suspect she is just a 'strawman' - her father too.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    39 people still in Gitmo. Abu Zubaydah has been there for 15 years without ever being in front of a judge. He has though been waterboarded 83 times. Gitmo also at one time held a 15 year old. For 13 years.

Not sure what point I am making here, but then I'm also not sure what point you was trying to make in the first place.
    It is quite easy to say look over there - condemn the US for hypocrisy of them calling out condemnable offences in other countries. But not being able to condemn countries who do bad things is odd.

It is easier surely to say country A did something wrong as did country B.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Of course there will be impact. But it is far less significant today.

The "first" world countries actually rely on China for many things. A whole other topic, but China is too big to fail simply by sanctions, no less from CANADA. Rofl. Canada is more reliant on China than China is reliant on Canada.

China barely flinched over US sanctions...
    Canada totally reliant on China? Are you serious? 80% of all trade goes directly to USA. Canada trade to China at most makes up 10%. Trudeau wanted to expand trade to China so that it isn't reliant on USA but the Meng affair pretty much killed that and also the America started getting more protectionist during the Trump era.
    China never flinched because the US did not apply full pressure of economic sanctions. Mainly not to hurt its support in Hong Kong. If you want to see full economic sanctions look no further than to North Korea economy.
    Mefisto and Coolboy like this.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3150315/china-electricity-shortage-industrial-production-grinds-halt

Both sanctions and boycotts are a double-edged sword. Trade is usually mutually beneficial.

Also not a fan of the long arm of US law and everyone being deputised into enforcement, but they have gone after everyone from Goldman in the U.S. to small companies in Singapore, it’s exceedingly disingenuous even if sincerely and mistakenly believing that Meng was necessarily “targeted”, but much more so that the timing of the sudden seizure and medical parole of the two Canadians could be justified by anything other than rule by law (i.e. politics) rather than rule of law, regardless of the merits (most likely lacking) of their own individual cases. Does it seem like due process when Meng gets a choice after following U.S. and Canada legal procedures and Kovrig+Spavor have no say in what happens to them? Ridiculous the lengths nationalists will go to defend the indefensible.

Of course trade is mutually beneficial. Like I said before, Apple built their empire off slavery in China.

My point is, Canada and other countries won't stop trade completely. Regardless of hk, Taiwan, Xinjiang, etc.

These sanction bluffs are just for show. Greed and money comes first. For everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, Canadians (and Australians) will certainly think twice about going to China now...except those strictly on business where their physical presence in the country is absolutely required.
    My husband (Australian) has been refusing to go to China for the past few years. He thinks it's just too risky.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My husband (Australian) has been refusing to go to China for the past few years. He thinks it's just too risky.
    Not that there is much tourism at the moment due to the pandemic, but even when international travel resumes, China won't exactly be the top destination for Canadian and Australian tourists, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    If he wants to experience frequent power outages without the risk of being arbitrarily detained might I suggest Cambodia.

Quote Originally Posted by gardabble:
    Canada totally reliant on China? Are you serious? 80% of all trade goes directly to USA. Canada trade to China at most makes up 10%. Trudeau wanted to expand trade to China so that it isn't reliant on USA but the Meng affair pretty much killed that and also the America started getting more protectionist during the Trump era.
    China never flinched because the US did not apply full pressure of economic sanctions. Mainly not to hurt its support in Hong Kong. If you want to see full economic sanctions look no further than to North Korea economy.
    Actually if we want to talk about trade, Australia is a lot more dependent on China's market compared to Canada. Yet one can argue Canberra has been much more openly courageous in calling out China. The Aussies didn't flinch when faced with Beijing's sanctions. While Ottawa has been relatively quiet in comparison.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 28-09-2021 at 10:13 PM.