Like Tree34Likes

Tips and advice for blending in easier after moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    Language is an important issue here. If a person can't speak the predominant language of a country fluently, I think it's impossible for him to be 'accepted as a local' in that country. You talk about the 'multicultural' Australia, but then do you notice almost everyone is speaking English? If you are an Asian living in Australia and don't speak any English, will you feel 'accepted as a local'? I'm doubtful about this.
    bullshit

Who deserves to be local is subjective since the Chinese go by racial hierarchy. Caucasians born in hk/ long-term residents are proudly seen as Hong kongers whereas majority of HK born Cantonese speaking 'south Asians' , barring a handful who've been really lucky , are treated like third class citizens.

And I also dont give a flying f*ck about 'saving face' cultural shit because it is nothing but arrogance. During one of the family cny dinners this year, my father in law (local Chinese) asked me to drink to which I politely declined since I was on antibiotics those days. Apparently he had 'lost face' on front of others and complained to my wife as if I cared. Gone are the days when it was necessary to do as the Romans did. There are aspects of Chinese culture I really admire, like hard work and family bonding, but I don't bow down to illogical cultural shit, no matter how severe the backlash.
    Skyhook and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    bullshit

Who deserves to be local is subjective since the Chinese go by racial hierarchy. Caucasians born in hk/ long-term residents are proudly seen as Hong kongers whereas majority of HK born Cantonese speaking 'south Asians' , barring a handful who've been really lucky , are treated like third class citizens.

And I also dont give a flying f*ck about 'saving face' cultural shit because it is nothing but arrogance. During one of the family cny dinners this year, my father in law (local Chinese) asked me to drink to which I politely declined since I was on antibiotics those days. Apparently he had 'lost face' on front of others and complained to my wife as if I cared. Gone are the days when it was necessary to do as the Romans did. There are aspects of Chinese culture I really admire, like hard work and family bonding, but I don't bow down to illogical cultural shit, no matter how severe the backlash.
    Why are you ranting your personal unpleasant experience that is totally irrelevant to this very topic? I assume Skyhook is a Caucasian and he's not feeling like a local in Hong Kong, so I'm offering an explanation. I'm talking about whether someone can feel like a local here, and you're talking about 'classes of citizens'. You can feel like a local and a third class citizen at the same time. Many local HKers feel like they are second class citizens compared to Caucasians and rich mainland Chinese. This feeling has nothing to do with whether you feel like a local or not.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4