Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Best way to sell a property

Closed Thread

Best way to sell a property

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to sell a property in HK.

Single exclusive agent?

Multiple agents?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance as ever!

Multiple agents. They cooperate with each other and exchange leads anyway.

Get a good property agent. Set a realistic price, manage your expectations. Good luck.

Get nice photos of your property. Get a separate phone number and WhatsApp. Post an ad in the news and on the forums and welcome agents. They will WhatsApp and call you. Send them photos.

Go in person to the agencies nearby your home and especially the major agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jdf21st:
    Get a good property agent. Set a realistic price, manage your expectations. Good luck.
    Check bank valuation and set your price 5-10% above to allow room for negotiating. Also check transaction price. BV is different at different banks.
    jdf21st likes this.

Some of the very specific details are hazy, but here's how a relative of mine handled the last sale(s) and left me in charge of showing the property.

- List the property with the agent that they'd worked with and give him 30 days to sell at an agreed price.
    - Tell the agent that an ad will be published in a chinese newspaper on day 31 with basic info saying "agents welcome".
    - Put the order in to book the advertisement

In the last case, the agent brought someone along on day 28 who was interested, but needed some time to make up their mind. I reminded the agent that the ad was going up in a couple of days and the property may or may not be available or someone might offer more than what we were willing to close with the agent.

They communicated to the buyer and we had a check in hand in a few hours time to sign the provisional S&P.

The key is - realistic price that the agent said they could sell the unit for and an agent that is known to you or you can work with.

With this property, the relative wanted a quick sale, so it was priced just a little bit below market or precisely at market price and there was no need for any price negotiation.

Last edited by shri; 25-03-2019 at 05:38 PM.
    chuckster007, MandM! and jdf21st like this.

Thanks everyone... some great advice / ideas...

Can anyone advise on the best Chinese newspaper for an advert?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Get a separate phone number and WhatsApp.
    best advice ever
    shri, aslan and MandM! like this.