View Poll Results: Do you give you domestic helper all of the Hong Kong public holidays?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 76.47%
  • No, just the statutory ones.

4 23.53%
Like Tree25Likes

Public holidays for your helper

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I think you’d be a stingy bastard to calculate how to not pay for a few public holidays honestly but legally you can.
    Thanks for your opinions.

My wife makes the rules. As long as she isn't breaking the law, it isn't worth it for me to get involved. None of the three of us will hear the end of it and will all be ultimately worse off!

Well I give my helper 3 DAYS OFF a week so I'm a better person than all of you nanananana .

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Thanks for your opinions.

My wife makes the rules. As long as she isn't breaking the law, it isn't worth it for me to get involved. None of the three of us will hear the end of it and will all be ultimately worse off!
    Your wife is breaking the law if she does not give your helper the days off. She can choose not to pay the salary during probation but she cannot withhold the holiday.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

I used to work in Helper Agency. Agency has this rules and its legal for employer, not to let the newly helper from outside hongkong, not to have their Public Holiday with in 3 months, thats what they called the probationary period. But empployer has to allow them to have their Normal once a week holiday, which ever the employer preffered them to go out ( between Monday to Sunday). employer can choose one day. But if you employ finish contract (meaning finish contract from previous employer) helper with experience here in Hong Kong, the 3 months probationary period is not applicable to them. I hope this can help to those Employer that is not from Hong kong.

I used to work in Helper Agency. Agency has this rules and its legal for employer, not to let the newly helper from outside hongkong, not to have their Public Holiday with in 3 months, thats what they called the probationary period. But empployer has to allow them to have their Normal once a week holiday, which ever the employer preffered them to go out ( between Monday to Sunday). employer can choose one day. But if you employ finish contract (meaning finish contract from previous employer) helper with experience here in Hong Kong, the 3 months probationary period is not applicable to them. I hope this can help to those Employer that is not from Hong kong.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Well I give my helper 3 DAYS OFF a week so I'm a better person than all of you nanananana .
    My helper gets 5 DAYS OFF every week! (But then I only pay her for two days per week )

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    My wife keeps telling me helpers don't get public holidays during their probation period but I can't find this documented anywhere - anyone know if that is true or not?
    If the helper has been employed continuously by the employer for not less than
    3 months immediately preceding a statutory holiday, he/she is entitled to the
    holiday pay.
    https://www.fdh.labour.gov.hk/res/pd...ideEnglish.pdf