Like Tree10Likes

Tipping in Beauty Industry

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Never heard of tipping beauty therapists and hairdressers. Not a common HK Chinese practice.
    Really? It's very common in local salons. Next time you get a haircut, check if they have the little boxes by the reception/lift.

Tipping in HK is not a common practise (perhaps except for massage joint)....don’t bring the bad American culture to here pls

MandM! and HK_Katherine like this.

I've never tipped at a hair salon, and never heard any of my local friends say they do it and never seen anyone else leave a tip whilst in the salon either.

I've seen those tip boxes at massage parlours and spas, but never at the hair salons I go to.

I confess to maybe over tipping (if such a thing exists) primarily due to lack of a clear understanding of what is expected/norm. Nail salons - I think always expect a tip- which was confirmed when I went back to a place and they started up charging or adding on stupid stuff because on the second visit I did not tip. So now will give $10-20 per visit. For hair salons, I go to a higher end place and will tip the hair washer $20 if they wash my hair 1x and $40 if they have to wash my hair 2x. For the stylist it can be anywhere between $50-$150 (I think the cut is around $500) depending on my mood. For the colorist it will be about $50-200 depending on what they do - single or multiple processing. I will give more around the holidays especially at Christmas because this is what I celebrate primarily rather than CNY. For normal visits - I try to average a tip around 10%.

My advice is tip or don't tip according to your comfort level. If there is a receptionist, try asking them discreetly and see what they say- often the first response will be that it is not necessary but try to press for what they think is 'normal'. I will continue to tip because they always try to fit me in and do what I ask. And if they really screw up they try to fix it. I think they appreciate the tips and I don't ever get a vibe that it is expected or it's the MO, so as long as I think it's being appreciated and I appreciate the service they provide I will continue to tip. The only thing that would dissuade me from tipping is if the salon owner will use the tips to offset the amount they have to pay. Some places from what I have heard do this which means the stylist does not benefit from the tips and the person tipping bascially helps the owner pay the employee's salary.

MABinPengChau and jimbo like this.

I also don't like the tipping culture, but I give $20-50 for a pedicure. The Nepalese women that do it are very hard working, hardly get breaks I think, and this way I know they're directly getting something and can probably use every bit of it. I also just feel sorry and grateful for anyone cleaning and scrubbing my feet I want to be sure they get something to express my gratitude, not just the business owner.

The hair guy has gone up and up in price. He not only doesn't get a tip, I feel I should get a discount from the high price when it takes him only 10-15 minutes!