Like Tree15Likes

Octopus confirms Apple Pay support for iPhone and Apple Watch later this year.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It works with most machines but for some non-payment machines, like the one that requires me to tap my octopus for office entry, there’s simply no response on the machine side when I tap my iPhone on it....its early days so not 100%

Could be a security thing? The octopus number changes over when you transfer it. My apartment building access went across fine but if your office is linked to the actual card number you may need to re-register?

just guessing...

alexdown likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I think you're going to need a new phone. iPhone 6 doesn’t have the advanced NFC capabilities, it’s limited to Apple Pay only. + the Apple Watch is not an independent device capable of doing the transfer.

Just wanted to provide a feedback on this. I’ve been using octopus on my iPhone XS since the launch about a month ago and while I love the apple pay function to fill your card and check your balance/transaction history in real time, I am disappointed about the reliability of the scanning.

It mostly takes 2 or 3 times at the MTR to work ... at 7-11 lots of time it will mark as « no read » and not work for 15-20 seconds... and don’t expect to use it in red/green buses as it won’t recognize your octopus in your phone ... so very frustrating

I would suggest to keep your old octopus for these situations and keep another octopus on your iPhone in case you run out of money on your physical octopus as you can load it straight from using Apple Pay.

Anyone has the same issues with iPhone ? Like it takes 2 or 3 swipes to make it work ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Anyone has the same issues with iPhone ? Like it takes 2 or 3 swipes to make it work ?
    My phone isn’t in a case and it works much better than the physical card ever did. Can often hold it about an inch away and it works fine. What do you mean by “swipe”? You just hold it over the reader, even works with the screen face down. I have the 11 pro and the reader seems to be near the camera assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Just wanted to provide a feedback on this. I’ve been using octopus on my iPhone XS since the launch about a month ago and while I love the apple pay function to fill your card and check your balance/transaction history in real time, I am disappointed about the reliability of the scanning.

It mostly takes 2 or 3 times at the MTR to work ... at 7-11 lots of time it will mark as « no read » and not work for 15-20 seconds... and don’t expect to use it in red/green buses as it won’t recognize your octopus in your phone ... so very frustrating

I would suggest to keep your old octopus for these situations and keep another octopus on your iPhone in case you run out of money on your physical octopus as you can load it straight from using Apple Pay.
    I also use it no problems on the green mini bus I take on a daily basis. Are you using a thick/leather case? Could be blocking it somehow.

Do you have the same issues with Apple Pay when paying with your cc?
    Last edited by natino; 19-07-2020 at 12:25 PM.

The Samsung version continues to work 99.5 percent of the time. Very occasionally it will fail to work on MTR turnstiles, and most often takes a good while to register on car park readers (sometimes needing two or three attempts).

I think it is probably an issue with the readers not quite conforming to a specification rather than the phone deciding not to play ball.