Like Tree4Likes

Maintaining a UK number in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I still have a dual-SIM phone with my local and home SIM cards. Keeping the home SIM active on a cheap pre-paid plan is cheaper than paying for roaming on my HK SIM when I go home to see family. If you get a new dual-SIM phone just make sure it's dual active SIMs (not one active one standby), and both are 4G, because countries are slowly turning off their 2G/3G networks at their own schedules. I quite like having dual active SIMs for traveling other places anyway, keep my HK SIM and pick up a local SIM wherever I'm traveling.

Not sure how up to date this is, but this is a wiki with details of all pre-paid options in the UK, including how often you need to top up and by how much.

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom...United_Kingdom

Yeah I use Skype for my US number. It's easy to maintain and pretty cheap. Can't receive texts but some places now have the option to call your number with the verification code instead.

For a Free US number, you could try using TextNow - allows you to send and receive text messages as well as call US numbers for free. Try setting up an account using a VPN service.

Thanks all.

I'm actually in the UK at the moment - will pop into a few phone shops and see if I can get anywhere with them

We have a Nationwide Building Society account in UK, and they have given us a card reader to generate verification codes. I thought all UK banks did that these days.