Issues with Alipay

Closed Thread

Issues with Alipay

Since downloading the Alipay app I have noticed two things:
    1. It only works in HK. Trying to pay in Manila failed.
    2. A heap of "offers" don't work in HK, I just get the message "this is a china promotion".

2. Is very ironic.

Is it me or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

There are two apps, alipayhk and alipay(China). Only the China one allows for overseas payments. The HK one allows for payments within HK and some merchants in China.

Some offers within HK are for the alipay China app while others area for alipayhk app.

But the messages I was getting in Manila seemed to suggest you needed Alipay Philippines to pay there. does that mean you can only use one app per country, or does Alipay China work everywhere and if yes, how does one get it in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But the messages I was getting in Manila seemed to suggest you needed Alipay Philippines to pay there. does that mean you can only use one app per country, or does Alipay China work everywhere and if yes, how does one get it in HK?
    AliPay HK is for Hong Kong (and some shops in China) only
    AliPay (CN) is for China & the rest of the world

You don't, at least not easily.

You'll need a China bank account and China registered phone number for it to work properly

More specifically, to use Alipay China abroad, you need to have the account registered to a Chinese ID card. An HRP does not count, and as a foreigner you are not eligible for foreign currency transactions or investment products which Alipay offer. Presumably all due to capital controls, which makes the restrictions somewhat understandable.

I don't know what holds Alipay back from allowing an Alipay HK wallet to transact in Manila or Taipei, between the HKD and NTD for example - but anyways those merchants subscribe to Alipay CN and target Mainland tourists, so it doesn't work with HK users. I believe the QR codes differ.

(As an aside, I don't believe you need a Chinese bank account - the differentiating factor is your ID. You can still setup an Alipay account but not tie it to a bank account. However, someone else would have to fund your balance).

I am at Wan Chai area. Call me next week to arrange delivery. 53270015