Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Chips

Reverse role: Are foreign parents eligible for HK PR if child is HK National?

Closed Thread

Reverse role: Are foreign parents eligible for HK PR if child is HK National?

Child born in HK, is a Chinese resident and granted HK passport and ID.

Lol, why would that be the case? Are the parents dependents of the child?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Lol, why would that be the case? Are the parents dependents of the child?
    Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me. A better question might be: How did the child become a HKSAR passport holder if neither parent are Chinese of hold PR?

To put it another way, being born in HK does not mean you automatically get citizenship, like in, say, the US.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me. A better question might be: How did the child become a HKSAR passport holder if neither parent are Chinese of hold PR?

To put it another way, being born in HK does not mean you automatically get citizenship, like in, say, the US.
    OP said child is a Chinese resident and HKPR, so I assume it's a child born to two Mainland or Taiwanese parents.

Edit: Technically it might be possible. HKPR can sponsor their parents aged over 60 for a dependent visa. Doesn't say they have to be over 18 in order to do that. But that doesn't apply to Mainland residents.

So in the far fetched case that OP is a Taiwanese resident over 60 years of age, then a minor child might be able to sponsor them for a dependent visa.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 06-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.