Like Tree39Likes

2020 Credit Card

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by 1989hk:
    I'm currently with hsbc personnel intergated account. Don't have a credit card yet.

I only spend money normally on dining in restaurants and supermarkets. Paying rent/bills

Which would be a good credit card for me and is it worth changing banks for a better deal ?
    You don't have to change banks for a better deal.

To keep things simple probably look at the Citi or SCB cashback options.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzdang:
    In that case, you can use Citibank Pay All

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...ds/payall.html

Good: there are points / cash back
    Bad: there is a handling charge
    I have looked into this in the past, but do struggle with whether its worth it or not. The fees in effect seem to result in the cashback being negated. If anyone else has any luck on this, please do share.

@pin - DBS Visa: 8% off on PnS chain 3 times a month, Buy 5 get 1 free on Most Coffee Chains (>25$ spend/bill)
    Hangseng Enjoy Visa: 8%-13% on Marketplace/Wellcome chain & Watsons 3 times a month, good dining offers

A second question, I'm looking for a credit card to collect miles. Now I want to be clear, I barely travel (maybe once or twice a year prior to COVID 19). I want to collect enough miles to travel first class with my wife and daughter at least once in my lifetime. Is there a miles card recommended where I can collect miles without actually flying? (as I doubt traveling will be a thing until restrictions are lifted in a year or two).

I'll use this card for about 4 to 5 years as long as it collects enough miles. Once again I ask for recommendations?

Best bet is to take advantage of the welcome offers with the different cards to accumulate lots of points. The Cathay AMEX usually has good Asiamile offers, as does the DBS Black and Citi Premiermiles.

If you get the cards, complete the welcome offers and then move onto the next card, you can get quite a lot of points.

Malk11212 likes this.

@Apjace - Thanks, but seems like DBS & Heng Seng credit cards are very convoluted.
    @Malk11212 - if its for miles suggest you look at the flyertalk forum. There is a very long and detailed discussion about the best credit card combinations for miles collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk11212:
    A second question, I'm looking for a credit card to collect miles. Now I want to be clear, I barely travel (maybe once or twice a year prior to COVID 19). I want to collect enough miles to travel first class with my wife and daughter at least once in my lifetime. Is there a miles card recommended where I can collect miles without actually flying? (as I doubt traveling will be a thing until restrictions are lifted in a year or two).

I'll use this card for about 4 to 5 years as long as it collects enough miles. Once again I ask for recommendations?
    Keep in mind that most of the time the points you collect expire within 2 or 3 years if I recall correctly. Doubt you can accumulate for 5 years to have enough points.

Also look at Standard Chartered Asia Miles Card.
    Malk11212 likes this.

What is the best card in terms of rebates/rewards for overseas use? I was using a Public Bank Visa Platinum, but they are discontinuing the product.

I've been told three different HSBC cards, SCB Simply Cash, DBS Black Mastercard. Has anyone done the research?

@Sith I just applied for a. express Cathay elite card. Waiting on an approval. Next month I'll apply for Standard Chartered too. They made a new rule where you keep your miles for 18 months everytime you use the credit card. So it should last longer than three years.

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    What is the best card in terms of rebates/rewards for overseas use? I was using a Public Bank Visa Platinum, but they are discontinuing the product.

I've been told three different HSBC cards, SCB Simply Cash, DBS Black Mastercard. Has anyone done the research?
    SCB Simply Cash gives you 2% cash back overseas, but the 1.95% FX fee pretty much negates it.

Best is HSBC Visa Signature, put all your Red Hot Rewards into "Overseas Spend" - this gives you 3.6% cash back for overseas spend, which after the 1.95% fee still gives you over 1.5% of actual cash back.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6