Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Kiz
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By rkenia852

When and who to pay second flat payment

Closed Thread

When and who to pay second flat payment

Hi,

I have signed Provisional Sales and Purchase Agreement (paid 3% of sales price as initial deposit).
    Formal Sales and Purchase agreement will be signed on 27th.

Now, the solicitor told me to cash-transfer: stamp duty + 7% of purchase price (2nd payment of the flat) to the solicitor's firm bank account by 25th.
    Is this the normal process? I always thought 2nd payment will be made directly to the seller (vendor).

Thanks!

Normal to pay to the vendors lawyer. That way they can make sure that the property is sold without any outstanding amounts like unpaid rates and management fees etc (not a lawyer, but just my understanding having been through the process a number of times). From my understanding, it is in your interest to pay their lawyer and not the vendor directly. Lawyers on here can clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Normal to pay to the vendors lawyer. That way they can make sure that the property is sold without any outstanding amounts like unpaid rates and management fees etc (not a lawyer, but just my understanding having been through the process a number of times). From my understanding, it is in your interest to pay their lawyer and not the vendor directly. Lawyers on here can clarify.
    Thank you for your reply.
    To make my post clear, MY solicitor has demanded me to cash-transfer stamp duty + 7% to MY solicitor firm's account.
    Would it be fine or should I be asking/requesting to pay the vendor's solicitor?

Sorry yes should be paid to your lawyer, the initial deposit is paid to their lawyer and then after that the money goes to your lawyer
    shri and chuckster007 like this.

Thank you very much both!!

Sorry yes should be paid to your lawyer, the initial deposit is paid to their lawyer and then after that the money goes to your lawyer
    Just want to make sure its clear to the OP - you pay into your lawyer's client account. Not the vendor. Your lawyer is responsible for your welfare... not the vendor's lawyer.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Also, Congratulations!

shri likes this.