One must Die

Coolboy likes this.

The high-water mark of the "so bad it's good" genre of entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln7WF78PolA

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    The high-water mark of the "so bad it's good" genre of entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln7WF78PolA
    That was a great "bad" movie. An all-time classic in badness.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That was a great "bad" movie. An all-time classic in badness.
    try and get a copy of Vivarium, right up your alley, I think you’ll like it for badness lol
    Coolboy likes this.

So I just finish watching this film again, it isn't a bad movie, far from it, this is a great movie and all-time classic: Jaws. The movie that propelled director Steven Spielberg to fame. The movie that was the prototype for the summer blockbuster. Yet upon re-watching it again, I discovered a lot more depth to the movie. It isn't just a brainless summer movie. It isn't just a monster flick. There are well-fleshed out and memorable characters and you understand their motivation.

Roy Schenider plays the everyman cop, struggling to balance the need for money into town and to uphold public safety. Robert Shaw plays Quint, the eccentric Ahab-like fisherman. Richard Dreyfuss plays the techno-wiz and his tension with Shaw's Quint plays well both in front the cameras and also behind, as there was a feud between Quint and Dreyfuss. Even the human villian, the mayor, played by the late Murray Hamilton, you understand where he is coming from with the need to bring in summer dollars to keep the town humming along.

And the shark himself. You don't actually see a whole lot of him in the first half of the movie as he terrorizes the town. Only in the second half, when the trio embark on their hunt for him out at sea, does he gradually reveal himself in all his glory. I think that worked great for the movie as that built suspension and thrill along the way. Granted, Spielberg said he didn't show a lot of the shark in the first half because the mechanical shark simply broke down and didn't work for a lot of the time. But that turned out well for the movie.

Last but not least, the movie score. John William's menacing music for the approaching shark is now one of the most famous score in Hollywood. Simple but effective and memorable. All in all, Jaws is a great movie.

As they say It's not about a shark

So I just finish watching this film again, it isn't a bad movie, far from it, this is a great movie and all-time classic: Jaws. The movie that propelled director Steven Spielberg to fame. The movie that was the prototype for the summer blockbuster. Yet upon re-watching it again, I discovered a lot more depth to the movie. It isn't just a brainless summer movie. It isn't just a monster flick. There are well-fleshed out and memorable characters and you understand their motivation.

Roy Schenider plays the everyman cop, struggling to balance the need for money into town and to uphold public safety. Robert Shaw plays Quint, the eccentric Ahab-like fisherman. Richard Dreyfuss plays the techno-wiz and his tension with Shaw's Quint plays well both in front the cameras and also behind, as there was a feud between Quint and Dreyfuss. Even the human villian, the mayor, played by the late Murray Hamilton, you understand where he is coming from with the need to bring in summer dollars to keep the town humming along.

And the shark himself. You don't actually see a whole lot of him in the first half of the movie as he terrorizes the town. Only in the second half, when the trio embark on their hunt for him out at sea, does he gradually reveal himself in all his glory. I think that worked great for the movie as that built suspension and thrill along the way. Granted, Spielberg said he didn't show a lot of the shark in the first half because the mechanical shark simply broke down and didn't work for a lot of the time. But that turned out well for the movie.

Last but not least, the movie score. John William's menacing music for the approaching shark is now one of the most famous score in Hollywood. Simple but effective and memorable. All in all, Jaws is a great movie.

Lee Fierro - Mrs. Kintner just passed away.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0276444/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Lee Fierro - Mrs. Kintner just passed away.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0276444/?ref_=tt_cl_t13
    RIP.