Like Tree9Likes

Monthly investment in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Don't bother with HK listed US ETFs. The fees (brokerage, tax and exchange) are almost always higher. Liquidity isn't really a problem due to the way ETFs are structured.

Mexpat likes this.

Sorry, finally getting round to this.

Dear OP, a few questions / observations:

- What are you trying to achieve (L/T growth, dividend returns, a quick buck)?
    - Sounds you are the USA and work in banking, or have a got the wrong end of the stick?
    - How much are you looking to invest?

You say you have an understanding of stocks and ETFs. If so I would suggest you stick to UK listed Irish domiciled ETFs.

If you want to go for HK stocks then bluechips may be the answer. For a total newbie or with someone with a small outlay I would suggest 2800.hk or 3140.hk.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Sorry for interrupting, but can someone explain why you would purchase 2800 for a long term hold, when the peak price was in January 2018, and has now been in a downward channel for 26 months?
    Emotional / home bias / easy access.

Also, we're an overly optimistic lot...

BTW, if you have 2800, your exposure to tencent, pingan, aia and hsbc are already substantial.. so you might want to reconsider if you are buying individually these shares as well...

traineeinvestor and Mexpat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Sorry, finally getting round to this.

Dear OP, a few questions / observations:

- What are you trying to achieve (L/T growth, dividend returns, a quick buck)?
    - Sounds you are the USA and work in banking, or have a got the wrong end of the stick?
    - How much are you looking to invest?

You say you have an understanding of stocks and ETFs. If so I would suggest you stick to UK listed Irish domiciled ETFs.

If you want to go for HK stocks then bluechips may be the answer. For a total newbie or with someone with a small outlay I would suggest 2800.hk or 3140.hk.
    No, I am not from USA but from India.
    2800 I picked as starting point till I get better idea what to setup for long term.
    In terms of objective , mainly looking for growth as dividend won't be much initially due to small size of investment.

Hk bluechips was another option instead of 2800 means planning was to stop 2800 and instead buy small qty of individual stocks monthly.

Also stopping 2800 is by default as I can pick similar tracking fund in TVC account (haven't decided which one but its one of the options considering it could be beneficial in short term if need to leave HK in next 10yrs)

Would building a portfolio of 2800 HK and 3140 HK be a good starting point? Or would you need more diversification?

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Would building a portfolio of 2800 HK and 3140 HK be a good starting point? Or would you need more diversification?
    When you eventually sell, where do you plan to spend your savings? Buy those markets.

If a market tanks, will it cause you to lose your job as well as your savings? Avoid those markets.

QUOTE=greenmark;3716770]When you eventually sell, where do you plan to spend your savings? Buy those markets.

If a market tanks, will it cause you to lose your job as well as your savings? Avoid those markets.[/QUOTE]

The money invested is disposable cash. What markets or finance options would you recommend for building a backup retirement fund?