Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MsYram
  • 2 Post By ArrynField
  • 1 Post By foreverhobbes

Cantonese language school recommendation

Closed Thread

Question Cantonese language school recommendation

Any recommendations for learning Cantonese in Hong Kong? Want to learn to a fluent level. My level is currently beginner/pre-intermediate. Especially interested in non-conventional teaching styles.

Native chinese offer Cantonese language tuition

Native chinese offer Cantonese language tuition in Hong Kong : Lesson notes,Flexible hours,Private one-on-one / small group.$300 for 2 hours. Whatsapp 93009104

You might want to check out ISS HOPE Cantonese Classes. HKD100 for 50 hrs. They have Begginner, Intermediate and Advance levels. Classes are currently being held online via Zoom.

mou-ming and TaD_LaLa like this.

Sorry for hijacking this thread

But wanted to learn Cantonese as well but I am not that ambitious so no need to become fluent. Was thinking there should be a lot of people offering private zoom classes now given the situation, but it seems to hard to find. Any tips?

Original Post Deleted
    Conversational for both me and my girlfriend. Actually I guess it is more for her (who knows intermediate Mandarin and had about 1.5 yrs group Canto lessons before), think my Canto is not that bad but would like to do something together haha

Get more local Chinese friends.

This is quite good:-

Search - CantoDict

gigglinggal and Paxbritannia like this.

If you guys are already at that level, I would not suggest the ISS (HOPE center) classes since I think it will be too basic. You could do CUHK if you want something structured.

I personally would suggest a private teacher since they can tailor things to your level and teach you exactly what you want and pass over the things you already know. It’s especially helpful to find a teacher who can teach grammar and explain the hows of pronunciation. Money I’ve paid for lessons is money well spent.

You can always find teachers here (in this thread or the classified posts on Geo). You could also check out some Instagram accounts like poeticcantonese, cmlanguage.hk, and offer_sensei. ITalki also has a lot of teachers that you can book online anytime you are free. You can ask for a trial lesson and see what their teaching style is like and if you guys click.

Of course, you can also go to meetups and hang out with people for practice, but I don’t know many people who successfully learn that way, unless their native language is closer to Cantonese (like Korean or Mandarin). In fact, the only person I know who did pick it up was a British lady who knew a lot of vocab but never learned the tones or sentence structure, so she could be quite hard to understand unless people knew her well. But I guess it is nice that she picked it up at all.

Anyway, good luck! There are so many more materials and learners Facebook groups and podcasts and all that compared to even five years ago. So it’s a great time to learn!

mou-ming likes this.

So far, we are taking the Basic level at ISS Hope. I would say that the HKD 100 is really worth it. The other classes that we checked from other institutions have significantly higher fees than this, so, for the sake of trying out, I guess ISS Hope is a good start.

We have been taking the Sunday classes for 3hrs for 2 months already. And I'd say that we learned a lot. Maybe because we started with literally Zero Cantonese. We can now form simple short sentences. I guess self-study and memorization (at your own time) also helps. I don't have anything to say with their Intermmediate and Advance level yet, though we are planning to take them after this.

For more information, check out HOPE Support Service Center for Ethnic Minorities in FB.