Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Peaky
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By Fei88
  • 7 Post By JohnnyB

Extension of Stay for American Tourist?

Closed Thread

Extension of Stay for American Tourist?

I'm a teacher at an international school in Guangzhou and I've been in HK for almost 3 months. I'm waiting for the border to re-open so I can return to GZ. I have a residency visa for Mainland China but I'm in HK as a tourist. After entering HK, I was allowed to stay for 90 days. This will expire on June 16th. I know in pre-covid 19 days I could just do a day trip to Macau and be given another 90 days upon re-entering HK but this is not possible during these unusual circumstances. I really don't want to go back to the US with all of the issues going on there. I'm will go to the immigration office next week and apply for an Extension of Stay. Has anyone had success in doing this or know of anyone who was granted an Extension of Stay? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!

Yes.

Ask for a long extension e.g. 3 months and show financial means to support yourself and it should be fine. They tend to give you slightly less than you ask for, probably to fake some level of scrutiny.

All done at counter 1 at level 5 of immigration tower. They'll take your application and ask you to come back in about a week for the decision. Apply within 7 days of your current visa expiry. You'll get given a temp extension of a few days if the appointment is after the current expiry.

shri, JohnnyB and Fiona in HKG like this.

Try to apply for a new Z-Visa to China. Visas issued after the entry ban are valid for travel to China. You'll just have to quarantine.

chuckster007 and JohnnyB like this.

I have friends ( who work in Shenzhen) in exact similar situation.

Immigration does extend visitor visa - but 4 weeks at a time.

Apply Chinese visa center - they accept applications anf ask for official Employment invitation letter ( Z visa issuance confirmation from government - handled by employer). For my friends this letter had not been issued by china side so no luck. They had current visas valid for many months. But worth a try maybe Guangzhou is better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB:
    I'm a teacher at an international school in Guangzhou and I've been in HK for almost 3 months. I'm waiting for the border to re-open so I can return to GZ. I have a residency visa for Mainland China but I'm in HK as a tourist. After entering HK, I was allowed to stay for 90 days. This will expire on June 16th. I know in pre-covid 19 days I could just do a day trip to Macau and be given another 90 days upon re-entering HK but this is not possible during these unusual circumstances. I really don't want to go back to the US with all of the issues going on there. I'm will go to the immigration office next week and apply for an Extension of Stay. Has anyone had success in doing this or know of anyone who was granted an Extension of Stay? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!
    chuckster007 likes this.

I went to the immigration building last Tuesday and submitted my application. I was given a temporary extension card (which didn't include the duration of the extension I'd be granted) and told to come back today. I went back this afternoon and I was granted a 60 day extension so I can stay until Mid-August. Just figured I'd update my situation in case any others are in a similar situation.