Like Tree25Likes

Covid-19: HK - Domestic Helper Quarantine Changes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pockets full of the $10K handouts and a predictable response from some:

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

chuckster007 and shri like this.

Pathetic bunch of people they are "employers group"

Plus if you cant afford then you shouldnt have a helper, i bet your house is as small as a storeroom, the helper probably sleeps on the floor or in the toilet/kitchen and gets scraps to eat.

She also urged the government to consider subsidising employers who are less well-off for their helpers’ stay at hotels.
    JAherbert likes this.

I don't get it. I'm waiting for our helper to come from the Philippines, if she tests negative, why can't she stay at my place as we have a separate room just for her? Why can expats come back home with their family and not having to do their quarantine in a hotel?

I could do without the added money to shell out considering it's been 3 months we were expecting her, my wife can't work because of that as we're taking care of the kid. And that is considering they won't push the lock-down in the Philippines!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Overall though, I think that raising barriers to FDH employment in HK is generally a good thing.
    Why?
    juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    Why?
    Because the bar is so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Because the bar is so low?
    In terms of?

Very curious.

I took this news differently. The govt quarantine spots have been filling up this past week or so. So they are looking at how they can reduce the numbers needing govt quarantine and save the spots for the most risky. If someone does not have a suitable quarantine location arranged they are sent to govt quarantine .
    On the facebook quarantine page I have seen many people asking if their returning helpers can just do govt quarantine, presumably so they don't have to bother to arrange anything or have the 'risk' of having them quarantine in their house. So it may be a considerable number of helpers filling up these needed spots that really should not be.

On the facebook quarantine page I have seen many people asking if their returning helpers can just do govt quarantine, presumably so they don't have to bother to arrange anything or have the 'risk' of having them quarantine in their house. So it may be a considerable number of helpers filling up these needed spots that really should not be.
    In the early days, our neighbour sent their helper to govt quarantine - she was sent back in a day and a new rule was put in place saying that the employer had to allow the helper to quarantine at home.

Not sure what changed in the last few days.