Like Tree20Likes

Covid-19: July 8th - 19 Local + 5 Imported Cases

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

https://news.now.com/mobile/editorsC...?newsId=397164
    消息 : 晚上 新增 至少 五 宗 本地 初步 確診 , 包括 一名 港 泰 護 老 中心 院 友
    News: At least five new local initial diagnoses were added at night, including a member of the Hong Kong-Thai Care Center
    According to someone who speaks Cantonese the Thai Care Centre that google is referring to is an elderly care centre.
    shri, junichitsuyo and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    https://news.now.com/mobile/editorsC...?newsId=397164

According to someone who speaks Cantonese the Thai Care Centre that google is referring to is an elderly care centre.
    The infection at the elderly care home is probably the worst case scenario. These elders are the most vulnerable group and the most likely to die from the infection. I fear the fatality cases are going to rise sharply.

Now how did it spread to these care homes so quickly? Must have been someone working there and whoever that was got infected from an asymtompatic case.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 09-07-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    junichitsuyo likes this.

contact tracing for Hong Kong's relatively small number of cases is difficult, close contacts over 14 days could reach thousands for each person, a very time-consuming task...........where are the IT gurus? if we don't have an IT solution I think this will never end.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    contact tracing for Hong Kong's relatively small number of cases is difficult, close contacts over 14 days could reach thousands for each person, a very time-consuming task...........where are the IT gurus? if we don't have an IT solution I think this will never end.
    I don’t think there’s a failsafe IT solution either. HK is quite disconnected from technology at times, for instance the taxi driver who is infected is in ICU so they are currently unable to ask him where he went. The CHP know he went to that restaurant where there were a few cases but I doubt he nor the CHP can figure out who jumped into his taxi in the past 2 weeks...
    JAherbert likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Right, so the cops can use use that app without a warrant to check who was with you at a protest or attended some pro-democracy fundraiser. Nice try. You sure are out of touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I don’t think there’s a failsafe IT solution either. HK is quite disconnected from technology at times, for instance the taxi driver who is infected is in ICU so they are currently unable to ask him where he went. The CHP know he went to that restaurant where there were a few cases but I doubt he nor the CHP can figure out who jumped into his taxi in the past 2 weeks...
    in UK has pub patrons had to register with manual system and where they had cases they had trouble tracing level 1 contacts

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Right, so the cops can use use that app without a warrant to check who was with you at a protest or attended some pro-democracy fundraiser. Nice try. You sure are out of touch with reality.
    but thats a brand new untested power

Original Post Deleted
    If the government can use the app to trace who you have been in contact with, it sure as hell can get that information for any other reason. The difference to other countries is that they aren't run by a police force with nearly unlimited power.

Original Post Deleted
    The app would not work here. I can't imagine all the people already wary of those new smart lampposts installing basically something authorities could use to track people (whether the fears are unfounded or not). It's less about whether it's possible to develop an app where privacy is protected, as you've said other countries have more or less done it (still, no roaring success for the StopCOVID app in France), but more about trust in who develops the app (if there's a HK one it'll go to a mainland tech firm no doubt), what data it collects (or rather what people believe it collects), and how that data is used.

Original Post Deleted
    It's about trust. The trust simply isn't there, especially given if it were technology that needs to be "explained". We're living in an era of fear now in HK.