Like Tree207Likes

US imposes sanctions on Carrie Lam & 10 others

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by historian:
    But HK says sanctions don't apply to HK banks. Now HK banks have a choice of who to follow...US or HK. Whichever one they side with the other side will probably punish them.
    Between a rock and a hard place. If they are forced to choose between US or HK...they will likely comply with the US. They need access to US dollars.

However China also needs US dollars and one of the ways they get it is through HK banks.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    I'm not seeing the actual post. seems to he a recurring problem on geoexpat. What does it say?

This is a mainland reg & so will not automatically apply in HK, but still is an indication of how Beijing sees the world & will inevitably have implications for global financial institutions operating here. Summary below & link to full Eng version here: http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/article/policyrelease/announcement/202101/20210103029708.shtml…
    Quote Tweet

Henry Gao

@henrysgao

· 5h

MOFCOM just issued its first order for 2021: Rules on Counteracting Unjustified Extra-territorial Application of Foreign Legislation and Other Measures. Key message:We are going to prohibit firms from complying with foreign laws prohibiting transactions with Chinese firms.
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 09-01-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Quote Tweet

Henry Gao

@henrysgao

· 5h

MOFCOM just issued its first order for 2021: Rules on Counteracting Unjustified Extra-territorial Application of Foreign Legislation and Other Measures. Key message:We are going to prohibit firms from complying with foreign laws prohibiting transactions with Chinese firms.
    The proverbial sh*t is about to hit the fan. I'd grab the popcorn if I wasn't running a business in the middle of the two countries duking it out. So this is mainland only for now? Doesn't affect my business but certainly affects all of us in a big way if it's used here

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9