Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By breongravatt
  • 1 Post By Shiojiri Hiro

Putting furniture and personal effects in Storage

Closed Thread

Putting furniture and personal effects in Storage

Has anybody got any recommendations on furniture / household goods / personal effects storage in Hong Kong?

My family is still back overseas and I have a three bedroom apartment full of stuff. I have queen sized bed, kitchen tables, desks, bookshelves, etc is not easy to move myself.

I had a look at some of the box storage companies, as you seem to have to load/unload the gogovan yourself.

I have a month left on the lease (already put in the two months notice).

We are still debating if the family may come back this year, or next year, or not at all.

I am thinking about putting most of the goods into storage and renting a serviced apartment or stay in a hotel for the 6 or 7 weeks I will be in Hong Kong, before going back home for holidays with the family for 5 weeks. I had a quick look at some apartments, but not sure if I can commit to a year at this stage.

Few recommendations here:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/329/thread357750.html

To add to this, the storage place we use has some mover recommendations - these guys will apparently come over, pick up and pack and deliver to your storage unit. This seems to be common.

also to consider whether you need/want to pay for air conditioned storage to help prevent mold, given how humid hk is...

TaD_LaLa likes this.

NM

We have all our personal effects in storage with Allied Pickfords at present, while we do some travelling. They came and packed it all up and took it to their warehouse. No issues so far, cost is just over HK$4k per month. I don’t know how that compares with anyone else. We can access things if we need to, but really this is for things you’re not going to want to access. If you want to get things out/put things in regularly then a personal box storage may be better.

shri and jimbo_jones like this.

fwiw, I tried Allied Pickfords and a competitor. Ended up going with Allied Pickfords. Cost wise they are sort of similar, Allied being slightly cheaper.

The two charged about $5.50 per cubic foot for storage per month. + 1.5% of value as insurance.
    Plus fees to take stuff into storage and out.

Sevenseas is not practical for overseas delivery - for my apartment. I found out (after I had paid 1/4 of the job upfront). They don't do door to door, just curb to curb - this would be okay in most apartments. My building won't let me stack boxes outside or inside, so there's no way I can get 30 x25kg boxes from inside my apartment to the truck, it's two sets of lift and about 25metres between my tower and the lift to the ground floor. Expensive lesson. At least it wasn't the entire move, only about 20% of the stuff that my family wanted sent back.

If I look at the prices overall, it feels like that Allied would be approximately the same price as Sevenseas to Australia, but Allied would do a full unpack service.

ymmv.