Employed by a UK company but working abroad

Closed Thread

Employed by a UK company but working abroad

Hi

Does anyone know how the contract would work if I'm employed by a UK company but working in Hong Kong on a 6 month contract? Do I pay income tax here or the UK? I'm aware there's also national insurance contributions. Do I have to pay that if I work remotely for a UK company?

Hope to get some advice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by soph_:
    Hi

Does anyone know how the contract would work if I'm employed by a UK company but working in Hong Kong on a 6 month contract? Do I pay income tax here or the UK? I'm aware there's also national insurance contributions. Do I have to pay that if I work remotely for a UK company?

Hope to get some advice, thanks!
    I'm not a tax professional, so a general advice only. If you read the official HK personal income tax writeup, you'll see the taxation criteria quite clearly: if you are getting income while working in HK for longer than a certain period of time (I recall 3 mo, double check) - you must pay HK income tax unless your income is not "related" to you being in HK. It sounds like you are being sent to work to HK specifically, so yours is, and you should pay the tax in HK. Generally, the UK tax would be adjusted so that you are not double taxed - that's a UK thing you need to check on, how that's done. The "national insurance" - unlikely you are a subject of in HK being on a temporary contract.