Like Tree22Likes

New arrival in HK -Moving to Midlevels/Central-Any recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    Agreed, you may think it's 1 or 2 stops away from central but if you get back home after the Mtr closes, then take a taxi home the tunnel charge for that particular tunnel is very high (Western harbour) . Don't forget you need to pay that twice, for the taxi to return to the island. So you could be talking tunnel fees $150+100-150= 250-300 whereas if you live on the island, prob just 50-100 total or less.
    I assumed a couple with a one year old wasn't prioritising convenience of getting home at 2 am. Each to there own, and age pays a big part, but living within walking distance of restaurants, bars, traffic noise, etc would not be my choice when raising a family.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:

Go for quality of life and stick to your plan in mid levels,.
    Depends on what you class as quality of life. Not my idea of quality!

Have you considered living in Olympic? Take the Tung Chung Line to ICC. (Inside Elements) and reach Wan Chai via Central/HK. the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    or us) kids classes in the Universal Trade Bld and, just across the park, the YWCA with more affordable kids classes.
    Curiously Caine road also has an incredible concentration of churches and temples for every faith, plus mosque and synagogue two minutes walking distance, if you need any of that.
    So does KLN. Tong. Strangely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HKG2020:
    Thanks, we are looking at some apartments this weekend in Belcher's. They also have a squash court it seems which is definitely a plus for me
    @HKG2020 If you're a keen squash player then HK has a very good active squash scene (especially so on the Island, based principally in Central, but their are courts all over the island and Kowloon) but with covid messing up the leagues and courts this year you might have found it difficult to get involved.

Depending on your level, if you want a game/introductions to get started, then send me a note.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    So does KLN. Tong. Strangely enough.
    I'm very sure there's no synagogue in Kowloon Tong, and pretty sure there's no mosque either...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Depends on what you class as quality of life. Not my idea of quality!
    The Mid-levels is a huge area, parts of which are near noisy retail / late night establishments, and parts of which are quiet and somewhat secluded. When we arrived in HK we were on the top floor of an older 4-story building on MacDonnell Rd, which had a wrap-around balcony and looked out over banyan trees teaming with cockatoos and bulbuls in the morning and further below was the aviary and HK Park. Great views of Central, too. Today we are on the opposite, western side of the Mid-levels, but on a high floor with a harbor view; also quiet, but closer to grocery stores, delis, cheese shops, and bakeries.
    Baklava and Sage like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I found the prices at the supermarket in DB pretty high compared to mine and I live on HK Island. The shops here are pretty good at microgouging so if you live in a fancy block in Kowloon your nearest PnS will also be a rip off.
    Sage likes this.