Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 99 104 105 106 107

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    Isn't that what US calls domestics terrorism?
    Whataboutism

Isn't that what US calls domestics terrorism?
    Factually no. This must be the absolute lamest attempt at whataboutism in the history of this forum, congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    While the city has definitely lost a bit of sparkle, my lifestyle is completely back to normal. HK is much more easily tolerated when you can go away for long weekends or a week to Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc... and longer holidays in the western world. Money coming in, rents coming down, sports leagues, gyms, bars, restaurants operating well. Things are definitely looking up for expats and conversations are a lot more about all the fun things that people are doing, have done or are going to do and hardly ever about the stupid things the government is doing.
    It's gonna cost you twice as much as it used to. Unless your disposable income is 2x, not sure how doubling the travel budget is normal.

Do you want to come to charity and help out or do you only just talk trash and dress down on people?
    How about contributing with me to society which we live in and treat all human as equal because all I read is you talking down without actually making a change by action?

It's an open invitation as I hope good or bad attitude you might get another sense of reality.
    I've done it in the past, I've spent a huge amount of time in the area (usually walking around though). If you still haven't cottoned on though, in this thread about people anecdotally leaving Hong Kong, I have already stated that I've left and for what reasons. And... big reveal here, I am not white (just had to say this again as you seem to keep missing things).

I think I've done my part for society in HK before I left, spent a good chunk of my time at one of the NGOs. But how does anyone spending time doing charity work make them more or less qualified to speak about why people might be unhappy with the way that things have gone in the last five years?

Again- keeping this in context because you keep going on and on about it. What do your efforts in SSP achieve for the homeless, specifically in the context of the overall picture of them being kicked out of their main area to sanitise it, and to replace it with an 'urban artwork' installation? Do your efforts and the efforts of whoever you are working with balance what the local authorities have done, so that things are overall better for people there?

Because that's pretty much what we are talking about in this thread now. Whether people are unhappy with the way things are going and why they are leaving, not whether someone should feel some weird sense of smug superiority for helping the disadvantaged, whilst defending the very system that is actively making things worse for them.

Shutting this down... Seems to have gone off track ..

Sith and DonDiego like this.