Like Tree25Likes

UK Passport renewal - how long?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by akcl:
    Hi, can anyone help me confirm to send original documents or photocopies are acceptable?
    I sent old passport and a colour photocopy of HKID, both were fine and returned by DHL after receiving new passport.

Quote Originally Posted by AClass:
    I sent old passport and a colour photocopy of HKID, both were fine and returned by DHL after receiving new passport.
    I also sent original proof of address. Was just a electric bill.

The online application method is brilliant. The digital photo is a great option. For the proof of address I printed out a bank statement and blacked out any info apart from the address.

I submitted mine 9/11/22, they received my documents 15/11/22, new passport printed 22/11/22 and ETA HK 28/11/22

UK Passport office on strike for 5 weeks.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...s-crisis-bites

I know this is an old thread, but just to share an update of my own experiences and to shower HM's government with rare praise. Two caveats:

1. I applied from within the U.K. and understand the process / timings would differ from HK.
    2. I applied for a newborn's first passport, so maybe this is handled differently.

Application made online including upload of self-taken photo. Let's say this was a Thursday. That same evening a nominated friend also completed his bit of verifying the photo, after which I was prompted to mail in supporting documents.

Original birth certificate posted out by Royal Mail on Friday. Signed receipt on Monday morning; official acknowledgement received same evening.

Tuesday evening (barely 24 hours) I received email notifying of application approval.

Wednesday morning (5am) I received email confirming that passport has been printed and handing to Royal Mail.

Tracking number received later that afternoon. Passport delivered and in-hand by Friday.

That's 8 days since submitting online application; 4 days since HMPO actually received the necessary original documents.

I paid for regular service (HMPO official estimate is 20 days). Glad I didn't fork out the extra £100+ for expedited service: which ironically may have taken longer, since that requires an offline appointment.

All in all, it sounds like whatever issues the Home Office had before have now been fully resolved.
    emx and shri like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5