Like Tree24Likes

GEP Visa - Travel to HK from Canada despite ban on non-residents

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    did you read any of the posts? You get the visa sticker mailed to you, you stick it in your passport, without that dont even bother trying to fly DOH!!!
    Yea I did, I wanted to ask that person to confirm to triangulate the responses.

I would agree with this, though if anything goes wrong and boarding is refused, the opportunity cost is much higher than a few hundred $ difference in the flight ticket (ie the QT hotel booking)

but then again, i'm the kind of guy that buys insurance...again, up to personal preference!

It's just like how nowadays if i were to fly, i'd pay the premium and fly direct with CX rather than with, say, Qatar. Even if they are much better value and I love the Q suite.

Quote Originally Posted by gardabble:
    If you want better flight prices go with Air Canada. Cheaper than Cathay Pacific.
    MABinPengChau and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis:
    Sweet! So what documentation did they have with them at the Canadian airport? I imagine they had to get their HK sponsor to physically obtain the visa/entry permit, and then have it mailed out to Canada (which they then proceeded to bring it to the airport)?
    yes, mailed it to Canada.
    mrwillis likes this.

OK, so my sponsor will mail me my visa permit papers to Canada. In terms of next steps to sponsor my dependants (I didn't sponsor my dependants on my initial application), do i need to have the physical HKID (which means I have to finish quarantine in HK first, and collect it in person at the Immigration Dept office)? Or, as long as I have my visa permit papers (which presumably contains a HKID number), I can sponsor them? And if so, would it be better to do it when I arrive in HK and fill out the paperwork and submit while in quarantine, or can I start the process even though I'm in Canada prior to my flight to HK?

Thanks very much for your help everyone.

I emailed HK immigration and asked them to confirm in writing that I can enter and land in HK and they emailed me back within a matter of hours confirming this and also noted in their email ‘You may provide this email to the airline for reference or they may enquire with us via this email in case of further enquiry on your residential status. You may also consider to check in earlier for the flight in case of any enquiry from the airline upon checking in the flight’. So would reccomend anyone else in the same position to do the same. The email also confirmed a working visa should be considered as proof of residence for boarding purposes.

shri, Shiojiri Hiro and ycchai like this.

There is a Facebook group called 'HK Quarantine Support Group' that you may want to join and submit your question to. The group has over 65,000 members and you can get responses and advice from people almost instantly. I have seen that there are a few people on there going through the dependant visa process.

mrwillis likes this.

Canada is tightening its entry rules. non residences are banned from entering. us and cad residents must produce negative 24 hr pcr test.instead of 72hr now if they arrive outside us,and cad. cad will test on arrival, you will be quarantine until there is negative test.

qhank likes this.