Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LetsDiscuss
  • 1 Post By PatOlympic
  • 1 Post By Peaky

Hong Kong eVisa for extension of stay

Closed Thread

Red face Hong Kong eVisa for extension of stay

Hi All,

I am about to apply for extension of my work visa and found that now HK giving eVisa only after December and stopped sticker visa.

It seems like good news because now I don't have to go Immigration office 2 times and everything will be done online.

But before I feel happy:

Has anybody tried eVisa in HK ?

Is there any pros or cons having eVisa ?

Is there any other difference between sticker visa and evisa other than moving from hard copy to soft copy.

Thanks.

PatOlympic likes this.

if this is correct for work visa extensions, then it's great news. Pls keep us updated. (I will apply for a visa extension myself later in Q1.)

LetsDiscuss likes this.

I have called today immigration dept and they confirmed so yes it's actually good news.

One question, I have received supporting letter from my new employer and in letter they said "please grant APPROPIATE" extension of stay" to immigration. I remember in my previous company letters, always the number of months written in letter like please grant visa for 12 months, 24 months etc.

Is it normal to have "appropriate" word in visa extension letter by employer ?

Quote Originally Posted by PatOlympic:
    if this is correct for work visa extensions, then it's great news. Pls keep us updated. (I will apply for a visa extension myself later in Q1.)
    Last edited by LetsDiscuss; 20-01-2022 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    One question, I have received supporting letter from my new employer and in letter they said "please grant APPROPIATE" extension of stay" to immigration. I remember in my previous company letters, always the number of months written in letter like please grant visa for 12 months, 24 months etc.
    I'm going to apply for an extension to my work visa in coming weeks. Up until this point, I always had an immigration agent do this for me (my company paid), but this time around I will be applying myself, so I will see how the letter from the employer is phrased.

Basically, my understanding is that the letter is supposed to state a) position b) remuneration and c)duration of your employment contract .

If you are a Western expat who has lived in HK for many years, you presumably don't have an expiry date in your work contract. I know I don't. The wording is very similar to employment contracts I have had in previous jobs back in Ireland, in other words, I remain employed until either my employer or myself terminates the contract.

In this case, I don't see how it would make any sense to specify a "duration". Maybe this was what your employer was looking to express by using the word "appropriate"?

In any case, please keep us updated on how the application went? Did the HK Immigration Department accept your "appropriate" letter? How many years' extension did you get?

My visa people write “Maximum permitted”. They have never granted more than 2 years but for a permanent contract that box is pretty redundant anyway. Don't worry about it.

shri likes this.

Red face

anybody tried to get 3 years work visa extension ? successful ?

If not success then what immigration did ? given you 2 years visa on same application or rejected your application and you need to apply again with asking 2 years extension only ?

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    anybody tried to get 3 years work visa extension ? successful ?

If not success then what immigration did ? given you 2 years visa on same application or rejected your application and you need to apply again with asking 2 years extension only ?
    yes I got 3 years the second time I extended my work visa, I.E. I got 2+2+3 and then finally PR

My first [work] visa was 1 year, followed by 3 + 3.

Not sure what they requested on the application forms, however, as I didn’t fill them in.